Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware + possible AV conflicts = Explorer will not load

• Please log in to reply

Jonathan5950

Jonathan5950

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi- My situation is that I opened a file in a email that I suspected contained malicious trojans to test my AVG free that I was using. BIG MISTAKE! The attachment started to install a slew of virus on my machine. AVG did stop most of them. I then installed another AV program to help fight them. I used AVIRA free. After starting in safe mode and running scans of Avira and AVG they notified me that each found stuff that was bad and deleted it. I then proceeded to start up in regular mode and found that windows explorer will not load. Possibly a conflict between the two AV's or more Virus problems. I can not even get it to start in safe mode or ' last known good configuration' Any help would be appreciated as I am up against a wall. I do not have windows installation cd as I bought the machine used with Windows XP Pro already installed but no CD.

i beleive that the virus is win32. When explorer did load I would get a pop up window the said nt service/authority. Your computer will shut down in 55 secs. etc.

Edited by Jonathan5950, 26 July 2008 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements