Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer won't Post after power outage, is it the Motherboard or P

• Please log in to reply

roxxar

roxxar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Computer won't boot after power outage, is it the Motherboard or PSU?
I finally came to a final decision about the problem I'm having with my computer. The problem is that my computer is not POSTING after a power outage, and I believe that it is either the PSU or motherboard. All the other hardware (ram, graphics card, etc) is working fine. But I do not know which one is deffected, is it the motherboard or psu, so I need some help to choose which one to replace. Here are some problems that might help you choose which is the problem.

Motherboard Signs that it is broken:
1. The front fan is not working, it is connected to the motherboard, but all the other fan is working fine. It is connected to a port near the bios chip, so maybe there is something wrong with the circuit near there that is causing the computer to not post.

2. The motherboard seems to be powered throughout, and everyhting else aside from that one fan is not turned on.

Motherboard signs that it is not broken:
1. For some reason, occasionally, my computer would work. The one fan

that's broken would turn on. The computer would post to and the blue led infront would turn on. The computer worked for the whole day with no problem, but when I turned it off for the night, then turned it back on in the morning it wouldn't post again!
31 minutes ago

The CPU fan is working. I tried to reset the cmos, but no display and post. I also tried reconnecting everyhting and putting it back.

Weird thing happened to my computer!? My computer worked!?

A few days ago, I tried to turn on my computer, hoping for a miracle that it would work again, I left it running for a while and maybe it would magically turn on. After leaving it running dead for a few mins, I returned to the computer and noticed that the blue led infront of the case turned on. This was a good sign because usually this would mean sometimes it would post. I saw on the screen that it was posting, however after few seconds the computer restarted and started to post again but failed. I tried again, the computer posted and it didnt restart, so I left it running. It loaded to windows and the computer worked! It was running for hours and there was no problem. When I turned it off for the night, and came back in the morning ans turned the computer on it didnt work.

Edited by roxxar, 26 July 2008 - 02:17 PM.

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
If your comp turn on once for a day, i wouldn't think ur mobo would be bad. Try reseating ur ram. and all connections are good