Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anti-spyware scanner

• Please log in to reply

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I currently have Norton as my antivirus. My anti-spyware is Spyware sweeper which I bought at Best Buy. I also use Ad-aware and Spybot weekly to scan my computer, which don't find much.

Anyway, my Spyware sweeper subscription ends tomorrow. I was going to uninstall it and install SuperAntispyware, which is recommended by this site. However, the free version doesn't have realtime scanning. Is it recommended that my primary antispyware software has real-time scanning? If so, is purchasing SuperAntispyware professional recommended?

Thanks for you help.

Advertisements

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
From personal experience, I would recommend buying Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. The free version does not have real-time protection but the paid version does and I have yet to get an infection. The program is updated regularly, usually once a week, and there are daily database downloads. I'm not sure what others would say but in my opinion, Anti-Malware is #1. Hope this helps :)

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello :)

Personally if I was in your situation I would be ditching Norton and SpySweeper and using AVG 8 Free - It provides sufficient Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware protection all in the one application. I can guarantee you that if you removed Norton and Spysweeper and install AVG 8, you should notice a slight increase in performance. Not only that, but it's free! I use it and am extremely impressed - you will be too :)

Most people think that if you pay for your Internet Security, it makes you protected 100%. That's wrong. No Internet Security program is foolproof wheather it is pay or free.

Also, do you have a firewall? If not, I suggest using COMODO Firewall PRO :) Having a firewall is important as you could have malware hidden in your system sending out information such as bank details and passwords - if you have a firewall, you can monitor what connections come in and go out to the internet on your computer.

Also, if you would like to further extend you protection, I recommend using SpywareBlaster.

Edited by TechSabre, 27 July 2008 - 03:38 AM.

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you. I have Norton with firewall. Unfortunately, I was going to ditched Norton in May but they sent me an e-mail that said if I don't reply by the last day of my subscription, they will use my credit card to automatically renew my Norton. So on my last day they charged my card and now I am stuck until next May. Also, I do use spywareblaster.

Edited by dbrodsky, 27 July 2008 - 07:06 AM.

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello again :)

So you know have Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Firewall - Now you just need an Anti-Spyware application. I suggest looking here (TechyTopics' list of anti-Malware Resources), or here, (Geeks to Go's list of Anti-Malware Resources), if you would like a free Anti-Spyware application :)

Probably the best one to use would be SpywareTerminator as you don't need a firewall or anti-virus protection since you already have the two :)

Edited by TechSabre, 27 July 2008 - 04:11 PM.

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Also look here. It's Gizmo's review of the best spyware/malware scanners.

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Also look here. It's Gizmo's review of the best spyware/malware scanners.

Thanks for the help.

That article says that SuperAntispyware has the best detection results, so I prefer to go with that one. However, do I need the realtime scanner or should I just purchase the professional version to be better protected?

Also, I am assuming it is just anti-spyware and won't interfere with my anti-virus. Does this sound right?

Thanks again everybody.

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
It will not interfere with you anti virus software. As for the real-time protection, I am unable to provide insight into the quality of their professional version. I would assume that it is quite good considering it has excellent scanning features, but that is just an idea.

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

It will not interfere with you anti virus software. As for the real-time protection, I am unable to provide insight into the quality of their professional version. I would assume that it is quite good considering it has excellent scanning features, but that is just an idea.

Thanks, I am leaning towards the Antispyware. I will probably download the free version, and update to the professional depending on the feedback I get here. I always thought that you needed at least one of your anti-spyware programs doing realtime scanning.

Thanks again.

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Not a problem. I would also recommend Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, as mentioned in my earlier post. Download the free version, which contains no advertising and works just the same as the full version but without real-time protection. Try them both and depending on your experience with each, choose the best one. The good thing about Anti-Malware is that it looks for viruses as well as spyware and will not interfere with your anti-virus program.

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Check out these articles as well. Maybe a little outdated but still useful:

Spies, begone: five antispyware apps reviewed
CNET Review of top ten antispyware apps