Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Punkbuster Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Ok, lastnight i tried to play COD4 and got an error after 30 seconds of gameplay "PB Restrction: Disallowed Program/Driver [90042]. I havn't changed my driver. I read about this and it is a common problem, some say its caused by spyware, but i did several assorted scans to no avail of finding anything. I've tried turning off everything except my game and punkbuster, that didnt work, i went in safemode but i wasnt able to play because punkbuster doesnt work in safemode. It has happened to all 3 of my gaming computers so im started thinking it was a guid ban, but i wasnt. I have tried to forward cod4 ports, AND punkbuster ports and still no luck, i dont recall changing anything that would conflict with Punkbuster. I have reinstalled punkbuster several times and along with reinstalling the game. I have checked for updates on everything and none were found.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you have some program that is injecting a dll into your game process.
http://www.punksbust...php/t41453.html

What they recommend is that you open a ticket with evenbalance.com. Once it is opened, make sure they have you run the scan tool. With this they can tell you what program is causing the issue.

Diesel1966

Diesel1966

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Crunch,

I'm having the same exact issues on two separate computer systems. A laptop and a desktop and on both, nothing was installed weeks before the error began. I'm at a loss on what to do. I've got an open ticket at evenbalance and I've listed what processes were running in the background for the laptop to perhaps assist eachother in what is causing it.

I'm getting kicked from PB enabled COD4 servers with the following message:

Disallowed Program/Driver [90042]

I've updated all PB files, even removed and reinstalled all of them. I've not installed any new programs, drivers for months . Today is the first time i've seen this problem.

Computer Information
CPU Type: AMD 64
CPU Speed: 2.4Ghz
RAM Memory: 2Gig
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Video Card Type: Geforce Go 7800GTX
Video Card Driver Version: Nvidia 6.14.11.7563
Network Information
Network Speed: Faster than DSL/Cable 1Mbps
Router: None
Here is a copy of my tasks running in the background:
Image Name PID Services
========================= ====== =============================================
System Idle Process 0 N/A
System 4 N/A
smss.exe 512 N/A
csrss.exe 564 N/A
winlogon.exe 596 N/A
services.exe 644 Eventlog, PlugPlay
lsass.exe 660 PolicyAgent, ProtectedStorage, SamSs
svchost.exe 844 DcomLaunch, TermService
svchost.exe 892 RpcSs
svchost.exe 932 AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem, helpsvc,
HidServ, Irmon, lanmanserver,
lanmanworkstation, Netman, Nla, RasMan,
Schedule, seclogon, SENS, SharedAccess,
ShellHWDetection, TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks,
W32Time, winmgmt, wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
Smc.exe 1032 SmcService
svchost.exe 1068 Dnscache
svchost.exe 1104 LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, upnphost,
WebClient
ccSvcHst.exe 1272 ccEvtMgr, ccSetMgr
spoolsv.exe 1380 Spooler
BTNtService.exe 1576 BlueSoleil Hid Service
svchost.exe 1696 HTTPFilter
MDM.EXE 1764 MDM
nvsvc32.exe 1880 NVSvc
PnkBstrA.exe 1892 PnkBstrA
svchost.exe 248 stisvc
Rtvscan.exe 292 Symantec AntiVirus
wmpnetwk.exe 456 WMPNetworkSvc
alg.exe 2132 ALG
explorer.exe 2764 N/A
SmcGui.exe 2816 N/A
raid_tool.exe 3088 N/A
soundman.exe 3096 N/A
SynTPEnh.exe 3108 N/A
UpdaterUI.exe 3116 N/A
jusched.exe 3124 N/A
DLACTRLW.EXE 3172 N/A
issch.exe 3364 N/A
ccApp.exe 3392 N/A
wmiprvse.exe 3420 N/A
Acrotray.exe 3516 N/A
rundll32.exe 3608 N/A
ctfmon.exe 3616 N/A
msmsgs.exe 3636 N/A
BlueSoleil.exe 3692 N/A
WinCinemaMgr.exe 3700 N/A
QuickTV.exe 3708 N/A
WlanUtility.exe 3716 N/A
WLAN_Service.exe 3772 N/A
FNPLicensingService.exe 3904 FLEXnet Licensing Service
ISUSPM.exe 2068 N/A
agent.exe 556 N/A
firefox.exe 2324 N/A
rundll32.exe 3048 N/A
cmd.exe 2844 N/A
iw3mp.exe 3352 N/A
PnkBstrB.exe 2092 PnkBstrB
tasklist.exe 3744 N/A
wmiprvse.exe 2944 N/A

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Will be glad to combine forces. What I know so far.
1. I have also posted on pbbans.com website and discovered it happened to several at the same time.
2. Bought a new copy from walmart ($49.95), only used the key and all is fine, so PB has banned us all in some error and it is not from Activision as non PB servers still worked. I am a member of a COD4 clan and they have sent many suggestions and alternate ways to still be able to play, like on crack servers, etc, those keys are free but won't let you play in our regular servers.
3. Was told PB detects maybe my Logitech G11 keyboard drivers as a cause or some other background program. So I installed another HDD and put Vista on it this time and absolutely nothing else but COD4 install and 1.7 update, no drivers at all. That still didn't work because punkbuster has my key banned with the "disallowed driver/program (90042)" error.
4. Evenbalance has not replied for two days, if I play on my large drive with XP Pro and whatever it has on it they might ban my new key.
5. Three days of trying everything and google has come up with it is deffinantly punkbuster and not a problem in my PC or internet provider.
6. Tried ending nearly all processes so my list was a forth of what you just posted above this, still no go, pb has it locked out so I can't test to see what might have been the cause.

I'm very pissed about them forcing me to pay another $50.00 just to play in our own server, and have never used cheats. I would like to leave my clans website address here (my son is an admin, I am staff, with two servers) but not sure if it is allowed, from there links to all gathered info is available. BTW, the pbbans forum has been no help except comfort in knowing so many started getting the same 90042 error code at exact same time. At the moment I'm still waiting, Evenbalance has to fix it but google stories sound like they won't ever, and have never corrected a problem that renewed our existing keys, thus even when the problem might get resolved we still have to pay for a new key. Best deal on those is on ebay via email, so you will be able to save your profile. Just change the key in multplayer>options>multiplayer>key , restart it a few times and profile will be back. Or go to our site, get on our teamspeak for more details. This is my first battle with Evenbalance/punkbuster so any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks for your replies!

Edited by crunch, 28 July 2008 - 11:19 PM.

Diesel1966

Diesel1966

• Pip
  • 5 posts
A key ban would definitely explain why i'm having the same exact problem on both a laptop with nvidia card and a desktop with ATI.

I'm really wondering how this has happened. I too have never ever cheated in a FPS and it worked one second, and was kicked the next time I connected to a server.

I'll end up buying the game again because I do love the game and am also on a clan that competes in CAL and TWL leagues in Sabotage.

Do you think there is a way our keys were comprimised in some way?

The errors for me occurred Friday evening. How bout you?

So what your saying is that you got a new copy and entered a new key and all is fine?

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Friday evening is when it happened to everybody that has reported it. All that posted elsewhere said it happened while they were not on, some were on around 5:30 but left and could not get on around 9:00 P.M. I discovered it around 10:00 P.M. Friday night. See: undefinedwww.pbbans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59037

Edited by starjax, 29 July 2008 - 07:46 AM.
removed questionable info

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Disallowed program or driver, in of itself, will not cause a key ban. Crunch, it sounds like you may have done something else to cause the key ban. Only Evenbalance can tell you for sure what happened.

LSB

LSB

• Pip
  • 4 posts
All,
well first off im glad to see im not the only person with this issue. i was kicked on friday as well. I have also found a german forum site where there are a bunch of folks with this issue too. i have started a ticket with punkbuster and have provided them with everything they have asked for. basicly they had me start COD4 then run a scan tool and provide the info from the scan tool to them. i have not received a reply after that point yet. when i do i will post here.

-LSB

devito71

devito71

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I too have the same problem and have not done anything to provoke it besides drinking a beer while playing. I have submitted a ticket to Evenbalance but and wondering if I should hold my breathe with them as well. It's their f up but will they fix it.
I'm a technical Analyst with a young family so COD4 has been my stress relief and I play in Twl and CAL. So far I bought a new HD and re-intalled windows and game and still same problem.....so it cant be something else running on the system. I had my friend give me his key and it works.....so it is key related. Dam if I will buy anohter copy of the game for something they f ed up since there is no guarretee that it wont happen with the new key as well.
I cant troubleshoot it anymore then I have...its a fresh install.......of OS and game.
Evenbalance has some answers to give and I hope more dont just go buy another copy of the game to play.....if this affects alot of ppl they need to make it right.
Vito

LSB

LSB

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have just emailed PB tech support expressing the urgency to resolve this issue. i suggest everyone else do the same even if you already have an open ticket with them. the more hits they receive on this problem might get there butts moving faster!!!! use this email [email protected]

-LSB

Advertisements

LSB

LSB

• Pip
  • 4 posts
all,
as stated above i emailed PB and have received a response from Glenn Covington @ PB tech support his reply to me was: "It is being addressed as quickly as possible. Please bear with us."

well at least they know there is a problem out there!

-LSB

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hope they are really addressing the issue, we all need to continue pressing this to be able to save our old keys.

note to starjax: , NP. I understand and appreciate your editing my prior post , I thought I might have been crossing the line when I gave the link to my clan's website. Just that we are a group of concerned mature players (we have many seniors over 70) who are willing to assist others and maintain respect and comradarie among the gaming community.

Thanks to all and keep us posted.

devito71

devito71

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Good Job LSB. At least they admit to a problem...thats the first step I guess. It's fustrating when you don't hear anything from them you think they are ignoring you compared to if they would say they are addressing the issue...which they did now to you.
To me it's simple customer service....if you can't solve it you at least let ppl know it's being worked on...and they are doing that now...but they should be sending that message to anyone that sent them a ticket.
O well...makes my wife happy I'm not playing as much. :)
Vito

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
LOL,, Yes my wife was glad the game quit working too. BUT, then last night she noticed that I wander around the house being grumpy, i guess killing on COD is an alternative stress reliever. .......... In a way, until this happened :)

I filed ticket friday night, sent in scan results on saturday morning and the view of my ticket is still exactly the same, they have not acknowledged recieving the Saturday morning scan yet.

Tuesday I sent an email to [email protected], and recieved the following reply from Glenn Covington @ PB tech support, which appears they haven't realized it is their fault yet, by saying "we do not see any reason to disregard this violation". see reply below:

"If you have created a ticket, you will be answered there. I'm sorry for any inconvenience, and we are looking into it. At the moment, we do not see any reason to disregard this violation. If it is found that that it needs to be removed, we will do so."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This leads to a whole new discusion I'll need to open another thread for, but my bare empty new vista drive plays game glitchy and has froze 4 times, when on XP drive CPU is cooler and game play is smoother, hmm......

Edited by crunch, 30 July 2008 - 09:01 AM.

spal

spal

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi guys,

i was kicked last night with the error that you describe in the thread and i opened a ticket with Evenbalance as well.

I hope they are doing something soon.

If someone has any new responses from Evenbalance please let us know. My ticket is too early to be answered from them i guess :)

They 're probably very busy :)