Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Me problem: No cursor, 16 colors 640x480 screen size.

• Please log in to reply

Neopets

Neopets

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer has no cursor, is stuck in 16 colors and 640x480 screen size. It has been working properly for a long time with 1280x1024 screen size and 32 bit color. I never use it to go on the internet. I tried using safe mode and changing the settings but it wouldn't work, and on safe mode, there is a cursor. I also tried to change the settings with the normal option (the option that has the problem) and using my keyboard to change the settings but it wouldn't work.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You have a difficult situation here, since Windows is pretty much made to use with the mouse and Windows ME does not go into DOS mode natively. The first thing I would do is make a boot floppy, go into safe mode, open Control Panel, the Add/Remove programs, one of the tabs has the option to make a boot floppy. After you've done that open My Computer, right click on C: and choose properties, then tools, and run scandisk to check your hard drive. I wouldn't spend any time trying to fix Windows without knowing that the hard drive was good. Look at the report that scandisk makes and tell us what it says.

I suspect that you hard drive may be going and that you are losing files as a result. Bad memory could also cause similar problems. It's possible that you may need to reinstall. If you don't have an installation CD all the files needed are in the folder windows/options/install or cab in most ME installation.

Neopets

Neopets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay. Before I do it, I would like to know what a boot floppy is, since I don't want to mess up my computer. And do #1 I go into safe mode, open Control Panel, the Add/Remove programs, one of the tabs has the option to make a boot floppy, open My Computer, right click on C: and choose properties, then tools, and run scandisk to check my hard drive?
Or do I #2 go into safe mode, open Control Panel, the Add/Remove programs, one of the tabs has the option to make a boot floppy, open My Computer, right click on C: and choose properties, then tools, restart using normal mode and run scandisk to check my hard drive?
Or do I #3 go into safe mode, open Control Panel, the Add/Remove programs, one of the tabs has the option to make a boot floppy, open My Computer, right click on C: and choose properties, then tools, restart using safe mode and run scandisk to check my hard drive.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Just go into safe mode and follow the procedure for making the boot floppy, because you may need it to do a re-installation. Then while you're still there you can run scandisk. You don't need to floppy to run scandisk but if you need to redo the install you will need it and have to have it before hand.