Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage 100%

• Please log in to reply

when

when

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I need help! :)
I've tried everything I know of and can't find the problem. My CPU usage is 100% no matter what I do.
Everything is slow. Doesn't matter if its online or off. It takes forever for a program to open or a page to load or to do anything. I've checked my PC for viruses etc with Trend Micro internet security and it's ok. I've run Ad-Aware, ATF cleaner and that came back ok. I've done a system restore. No change, still 100% usage, I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and that was clean. I did windows updates and there was nothing to update so I'm ok there. I rebooted and no change. Finally I downloaded hijack this and haven't done anything with it yet.
Help??

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go :)

If your computer is receiving numerous pop-ups/ads - I suspect you have Malware.

1. Read the guide found here on how to fix a slow computer - you have already done part of it :).
2. If the guide has not worked then read here on how to submit a HJT log. If there problem isn't malware related, you will most likely get sent back here and we will look into the problem further ;)

All the best :)

(The guide in this post is located at Bleeping Computer)

Edited by TechSabre, 29 July 2008 - 12:24 AM.

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Maybe.

Appears the most popular problem is with an IDE device reverting to PIO, I just had this problem with my computer the other day, the short story is:

-Go to Device Manager (right-click my computer, select manage, select device manager)
- Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller
- For each IDE Channel, usually Primary and Secondary, right click and select Properties, go to the Advanced Settings tab and look at Current Transfer Mode, if it says PIO then this is probably your problem.

Uninstall the IDE controller, scan for hardware changes, reinstall and check again, it should say DMA or Ultra DMA.

If your IDE channels are already running [Ultra]DMA then this isn't the answer, but a driver issue is likely, check for the latest BIOS and device drivers for your hardware.