Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

advice on a site

• Please log in to reply

gator325

gator325

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
hello - i am planning on creating a website for my company's ohio branch where i work and would like a quick bit of advice before i start. i am not asking for any type of help with coding (one reason i am doing this is the challenge and fun of learning html again - i have used it in the past but not for over 7 years)

some quick background:

i work for a distributor and we represent several liquor suppliers. our job is basically to sell our products to stores, restaurants, and bars and come up with drinks, drink specials, and marketing ideas. i am new to the industry and sometimes get frustrated not knowing everything and having to ask so many questions. i thought of the idea to have a website for all employees to access where everyone can share marketing ideas, drink, menu ideas, feedback etc...

i would want to have different forums (<--- is forums the correct term here?) within the site, very similar to this site but on a smaller scale, with categories such as "vodkas" "rums" "whiskey's" "drink recipes" "menus" and so on.

my question is: should i go with one of those free sites like envision (i think thats what its called) where they may have templates set up for a site like i want or would it be possible to actually code from scratch a board like this, get a domain, and upload it? what are the pros and cons of each? again, one reason i am doing this is for the challenge and to learn so i am not scared to go the hard route, just want to know what would work best and look best i guess.

i have not worked in the tech field in quite some time but have done html, powerbuilder, VB, and limited java in the past so coding i could eventually figure out.

any feedback is appreciated

thank you :)

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
vBulletin and Invision Power Boards are not free, but they are highly configurable and very dependable softwares. Simple Machines makes an excellent free board. Once you set up the board (buy domain name, set nameservers, create a database, upload relevant files and use the installer) you set up the forums and subforums. The original outline for my board, LW, is scribbled on the back of one of my kid's homework. It's not terribly difficult, and you can modify your forums as you see how your members use the board.
HTH
Johanna
(Go Bucks!)

gmaddockgreene

gmaddockgreene

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Gator,

Check out sourceforge.net - home of open source software. There is plenty to choose from to address you needs .. all depends really on your level of expertise and if you can configure the hosting requirements yourself.

If you are setting up a 'community' type site perhaps take a look at http://drupal.org/ where there are many modules you can use to address your needs.

Let us know how you get on.

GaryMG

gator325

gator325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks for the replies - they are appreciated :)

i am just trying to teach myself how to create a web-page and may be getting in over my head - but i like challenges. currently i am working on a personal page to get some experience. after that i would like to do something like what i described above. i guess i was naive thinking i could create a forum myself and find a free hosting site lol.

i will continue to work at it and let you know how it goes.