Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

having troubles getting rid of trojan or virus? need help.

• Please log in to reply

tomcat7777

tomcat7777

• Pip
  • 2 posts
when i fire up my lap top it tells me that i have a virus and all these pop ups start and scan and tell me that i need to get anti virus 2008.I can not open
all programs because it is not there along with my control pannel etc, .Its all been affected.I tried starting it in safe mode and tried system restore to to an earlier date,but it would not let me go past the date and time to when this thing got into my lap top.I can not even go on line to down load anything to maybe help me kill it .I tried running ad aware 2008 to maybe help the problem but no luck.if anybody could shed some light on this problem i would really appreciate it thank you in advance! It tells me that it is a trojan x 12 and it effects win 32 and runs various anti spy ware programs and pop ups .

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go :)

From the information you have provided, you seem to be infected with the rogue malware program, XP AntiVirus 2008.

Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

Edited by Essexboy, 27 July 2008 - 07:37 AM.
modified directions

tomcat7777

tomcat7777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go :)

From the information you have provided, you seem to be infected with the rogue malware program, XP AntiVirus 2008.

Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

thanks for the response and i was wondering how i would take these steps to correct my mess when the lap top will not download anything . can i some how use my desk top to aid this problem through maybe using a usb port. my lap top runs win xp pro and desk top runs vista,could this be a problem to when the two pc have to interact?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you have a USB stick of about 4mb then you can transfer the programmes from the clean machine to the infected one. When you post in the malware forum mention the possible problem and the size of your USB stick, it might also be worth disinfecting the USB stick before data is transfered between systems. Again ask about this when you post