Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Build for College

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Yes, if you plan on overclocking you'll require a CPU heatsink. Though, if you only intend on running your hardware at stock settings, it won't be necessary.

Just a quick note here - a CPU heatsink is required - period. If you aren't overclocking, the original retail heatsink will be sufficient. If you are overclocking, then a higher-performing aftermarket heatsink would be the way to go.

Just to avoid any potential confusion.

Troy

Advertisements

onetimeuseonly

onetimeuseonly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry, I appear to have caused some confusion. I was planning on using the retail heatsink as a minimum, but I do plan to overclock. In that case, what aftermarket heatsinks do you recommend?

ryang96

ryang96

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
thermaltake v1

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Sorry, I appear to have caused some confusion. I was planning on using the retail heatsink as a minimum, but I do plan to overclock.

No need to apologize, I had assumed that you were using the stock cooler. Troy just posted that to avoid any possible confusion and ensure that you were in fact going to use the stock cooler as a minimum.

In that case, what aftermarket heatsinks do you recommend?

This guy. Cheap and it's essentially the best on the market.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835233003

You will also need to purchase some thermal compound, as the heatsink doesn't come with any.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186020

Would you be interested in other motherboard recommendations?
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 July 2008 - 08:55 PM.

onetimeuseonly

onetimeuseonly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
That's about it. Thank you so much for your help! I'll let you know if anything else comes up.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sounds good :)
James

onetimeuseonly

onetimeuseonly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Which company do you recommend I purchase my GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB from, now that I don't need the water cooling block on it?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Just a quick note that the HDT-S1283 does come with thermal paste... but it's complete trash. Go with the stuff James recommended (MX-2), or OCZ Freeze, for much greater performance. I'd try to find MX-2 or OCZ Freeze at a local computer shop, as the shipping cost from Newegg doubles the cost! That's just me being frugal though. If $7 extra doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. :)

As for what NVIDIA manufacterer to choose, I always buy from EVGA due to their lifetime warranty, great customer support, great community, and their Step-Up Program. The Step-Up Program allows you to put the money you spent on your current graphics card toward a new graphics card as long as it has been 90 days or less since you bought it.

onetimeuseonly

onetimeuseonly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Here are my final build specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66Ghz 8MB

CPU Cooling
- XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME

RAM - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

GPU - EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB

Hard Drive - Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 500 GB

DVD - existing
Audio - built-in

Power Supply - Corsair TX750W 750-Watt

1. That Corsair RAM will be compatible, correct?

2. I'm seriously concerned about that huge XIGMATEK heatsink and the GPU both being able to fit in my Antec Solo case. Has anyone found any measurements for the GPU?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Yes, that RAM will be fine.

The CPU heatsink and the GPU will not cross paths. The 9800GTX is 267mm long, or about 10.51 inches long.

Also, I'd recommend getting this hard drive over the one you currently have selected, as it has 140GB more hard drive space, it has better performance, and it is quieter... All for only $10 more.

I also strongly agree with Troy in that you should get the Q6600 to save money, especially if you will be overclocking. 0.27ghz isn't worth the additional $75.

Advertisements

onetimeuseonly

onetimeuseonly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm hoping my Western Digital curse is finally over, but they are much quieter. Thanks for the tip.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would maybe stick a a Thermalright ultima-90i on there, its just about perfect.

And I like the Asus P45s just got myself one its really great and gets the best marks in reviews for all the p45s(the express gate OS is hideously cool). Get the Q6600 as well from experience of mine it will never be used more than 70% even with crysis maxed out and that is without an overclock.

I would go a touch faster on the memory, the PC6400 is good but I forked out for the PC8500(got a great deal on 4gb of OCZ) and it really does make a difference at higher speeds.

PS
Hows it going James, good to see you still around, I built a new rig and got nostalgic so I thought I would stop in and say hello.

onetimeuseonly

onetimeuseonly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've run into a problem. I just built my new computer and installed the EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB VGA. I installed and upgraded to Windows XP x32 SP3, and halfway through installing the drivers for the GeForce, the screen goes black except for a blinking DOS cursor in the upper left-hand corner. After reinstalling the computer, the system hangs during the Windows boot screen. Restoring to a previous restore point allows my computer to boot up once again, but I've tried several different drivers and I get the same results. I'm not sure if it's a BIOS problem, but I checked and all my parts are compatible with the VGA. Do you know how I can remedy this situation? My system specs are below:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66Ghz 8MB

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME

RAM - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

GPU - EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB

Power Supply - Corsair TX750W 750-Watt

Thanks!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I haven't heard of this happening before when installing video card drivers... Are you trying to install the latest drivers from the Nvidia website?

Maybe try installing the drivers with SP2, before upgrading XP to SP3. It may be SP3 that's the problem.

What BIOS version do you have? Have you run memtest86 to test your RAM?

So many questions, I know, but the more we ask (and rule out), the better chances we have of finding the culprit.

Cheers

Troy

onetimeuseonly

onetimeuseonly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I haven't heard of this happening before when installing video card drivers... Are you trying to install the latest drivers from the Nvidia website?

I installed the latest drivers from both Windows Update, Nvidia, and EVGA, all with the same effect.

Maybe try installing the drivers with SP2, before upgrading XP to SP3. It may be SP3 that's the problem.

The same problem occurs.

What BIOS version do you have? Have you run memtest86 to test your RAM?

BIOS version = Award Software International, Inc. F3, 6/12/2008
Memtest86 resulted in 100% pass.