Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Ripping DVDs

• Please log in to reply

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I want to be able to rip my DVDs to my computer for backup purposes. My goal is to backup all of my DVDs to my terabyte external hard drive and save them as video files, AVI preferably. I need helping finding a program that will allow me to bypass the security parameters on my DVDs and rip them to my computer, saving them in a video format, not as an ISO or CUE/BIN file. What is the easiest program to use that will allow me to perform the requested operation? When I say easiest, I mean that it require very little input from me and is pretty much a one-step backup procedure. The program can be freeware, shareware, payware, nagware, etc. Freeware is preferred but any type will do. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Regards,
Sean Shaffer
a.k.a. "Spaztastic"

Edited by spaztastic, 27 July 2008 - 01:40 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

I need helping finding a program that will allow me to bypass the security parameters on my DVDs

While not expressly forbidden in the Terms of Use , I'm pretty sure that bypassing security measures on your DVDs is illegal for the purpose of extracting the video from the DVD, and discussion of such would be forbidden by the ToU.

A simple Google search may get you where you need to be.

spaztastic

spaztastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
It is not illegal to backup your DVDs, as long as you own them. I am making backup copies of my DVDs and I want to back them up into a video file because if my DVD becomes ruined and I must re-burn it to DVD, burning a video file to a DVD has higher quality than burning an ISO or CUE/BIN file to DVD.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Spaz, I see that you live in the United States. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, passed in 1998 by the United States Congress, states the following:

(1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

(3)(A) to "circumvent a technological measure" means to descramble a scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work, or otherwise to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, or impair a technological measure, without the authority of the copyright owner;

It is illegal to bypass encryption on a DVD, and you will be unable to receive help on this forum.

spaztastic

spaztastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I was not aware of such a law. Last I knew, it was legal to backup DVDs you own. Thanks you for the info, and good job on investigating that matter :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
No prob. Got hit at work for this: I helped a customer with a certain program that has decryption built into it. Dell Internal reviewed the DellConnect session, and I got hit pretty hard. Whoops. :) :) :)