Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New DVDs are full?

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
When I put in a brand new JVC DVD-R into my DVD writer driver, my computer shows that it is completely full! It shows 0 free space, with 0 bytes. What is going on here? Do I need to format this disk? Did I get an entire batch of junk DVDs? I don't believe any of them has ever recorded anything on them.

Now, just to test this theory, since I tried burning a project with Nero using one of these DVD-R disks by JVC and it failed, I used a different blank DVD+RW (Great Quality) from Fry's Electronics. My project burned successfully with no problems at all. Why would all these brand new JVC disks be full? And, when the computer gives me information about them, it shows them as CDs. Nero-ROM pops open every time I put one of these JVC DVDs in my computer. What is going on here? The disks say DVD-R right on them. Oh, I got them at Big Lots. Perhaps that's why?

Any ideas?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Ah YES, the cheap disks that are always a problem. I has someone give me a 100 set of off-brand DVD disks and after burning 13 coasters i just threw out the whole lot of them and went out and bought a 100 set of TDK dvd disks. Never had that problem with them. I also buy Imation, and H-P dvd disks when they are on sale at the local stores. I've never had any problems with them in 7 different computers. I did have some problems with off brand disks bought at the local stores at one time so i stick with the good brands.

SRX660

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I second that.... especially with dvd disks though it still somewhat applies to cd as well. I also found that some drives seem to like certain brand/color disks.... dont' ask me why but they do...