Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

re-registering jscript/vbscript every boot

• Please log in to reply

Jiggy1965

Jiggy1965

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm going slightly mad. I had some trouble removing spyware ( a popup to 'www_free-virusscan_com' every time I open a folder). Managed to do it with adaware/spybod/anti-malware.

But now I have problems using mediaplayer, search assistant etc. Last one turns blank (just the cute doggie), and MP won't open because of an 'internal error'. After some searching I found a fix on Microsoft. About re-registering jscript.dll and vbscript.dll. But I could only do that on one account (mine), though both my wife and mine account have administrative privileges. So I used regsvr jscript.dll/vbscript.dll on my account which works. Now I went to my wife account and MP/Search still didn't work there. When I try to use regsvr there I get a failed popup (error 80004005). Supposedly an access error? Even though both accounts have administrative privileges? But on my account it work, so I thought. But on every boot it fails again until I use regsvr jscript.dll/vbscript.dll. Why can't I get it to permanently register? And why only on my account? And why can I register it and use MP afterwards (unless I reboot), but when I switch to the other account MP still won't work because of an internal error?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: If you have XP installation CD (either yours or a borrowed one of the same version), place it in the drive and click Start > Run. In the command line type sfc /scannow (please note the space in the command) and press Enter. Windows will start looking for corrupt or missing system files and will repair them.

2: If that helped with your account but your wife's is still damaged, create a new account for your wife, move the data from the damaged account to the new one and, when finished, delete the damaged account.

3: I strongly recommend that you post in the malware forum of G2G (a link in my list, below) to make sure that no bugs are left.

Jiggy1965

Jiggy1965

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Already tried sfc/scannow but that did't work. I've also tried to start a new account, but one didn't work either: search blank / media player shows the 'internal error' popup on startup, can't register jscript.dll even when it has administrative privileges.

I'm the only one who can register , but I have to do that every time I start the computer.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to use this link to download vbscript.dll. Install it and see if it makes any difference. Use this link to download jscript.dll.

Jiggy1965

Jiggy1965

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Already extracted them from my windows xp pro cd. Went into safe mode and overwrote the old ones in windows/system32. But the results are the same. I can only register them on my own account. Which I'm forced to do every time I boot up.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My impression is that you know very well what you are doing. I have two suggestions:

1: XP repair. Personally I hardly ever use this process because very often it fails and end with more problem then you started with.

2: Backup your data and reformat your hard disk. While backed-up, scan the data with a number of antimalware programs to avoid reintroducing the bugs to the formatted disk.

It looks like a collection of files damaged by the malware or by the removal process. Even at this early stage I feel that it's a waste of time to try to fix them. However, other people may think differently so you may be better off waiting for other opinions.

Regards