Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

cant delete certain folders from xp ? ?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,,
Its been a little while since i have been on geeks,,and first and foremost, i must say,,i love the changes to the forum design,,,very nice ! :)

Right,, here goes...

I have managed to salvage a pc for a freind of mine,,the mb had supposedly fried but once i got my hands on this free gift i discovered that one of the memory modules was not sat correctly and once sat properly the pc booted up into xp no problems at all and is working flawlessly.

The 80gb hardrive is working fine and has some fairly decent software on it which i have decided to leave on there ,,meaning that i am not going to reformat it as planned ( was reformatted the end of may), just simply deleting as much of the previous owners files as possible.
I have deleted everthing that i can find successfully however there are a couple of folders that wont budge at all. The previous owners name was,,,lets say Gary...... and " garys documents " and "Garys saved files " just wont delete...
Everything within the folders is already gone so they are actually empty but they just wont go,,calling up an error box each time they start deleting
]... even renaming them doesnt work...

Any ideas how to remove them,,,,? ? I would like to give this pc to my friends this week,,but dont particulary want folders on there that they dont want.
Many thanks,,, kev

Edited by rxkevco, 27 July 2008 - 02:22 PM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Kev,

To make your life and the life of your friend easier, I would go ahead and create a new user profile - make it an administrator, of course. Then while logged into the profile, delete Gary's user account, and you should be able to delete those folders, if they aren't gone already.