Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing the Standard Editing program in Vista

• Please log in to reply

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
How can I change my standard editing program in Vista. It is now linked to Paint.

But I do NOT want to change my standard Open program for images which is now linked to ACDSee. (I changed that with some R-click option and checkmarking "always open with")

So once again: If I right click an image and choose Open, the image opens with ACDSee
If I however hit Edit the image opens in Paint. It's this lasy I want to change to FotoCanvas (FotoCamnvas.exe)

All this without temporarily choose from the right click menu open with ...... because than I also always would have to uncheck the "always open with.." option.

Edited by JimB007, 27 July 2008 - 04:10 PM.

Advertisements

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Nobody ?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When you right click on an image, and click on "open with", then click on "choose default program" you should be able to set the foto program as default.

SRX660

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Sorry, all the other forums where I asked this question gave the same wrong answer, and only because they did not read well what explained. Doing what you say in Vista will only change the standard program with which the image is openened (normally that would be some picture browser unless you want to edit each picture you chose "Open" from it's R-click menu).

Once more: the standard opening program must remain. I only want to change the standard editing program (Photoshop or some other photoediting program). The standard editing program assigned to Vista is Microsoft's "Paint".

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It's funny that both my vista computers default to "Windows Photo Gallery" when i click on edit.

I found that changing the default image editor involves editing a couple of values in the registry - or you can have a freeware program called Imgeditor do it for you.

Imgeditor is a very straightforward program that you unzip and run and does not need to be installed. Simply select the image types then point it to the program you would like to use as your default editor. Note that you could use the program to revert back to the default Windows image editing settings.

Now you can simply right click on an image file ans select edit in the context menu and the image will be loaded into your image editor of choice!

http://windowsxp.mvp...g/imgeditor.htm

Setting the default image editor manually
To change the image editor for all the image file types:

* Click Start, Run and type regedit.exe
* Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ SystemFileAssociations \ image \ shell \ edit \ command

* Backup the key by exporting it to a file.
* In the right-pane, double-click (default) and set its data accordingly.
* Close regedit.exe

For example, to set the default editor application to IrfanView, assign the following data to the above registry value:

"C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "%1"

To change the editor for a particular image file type:

* Click Start, Run and type CONTROL FOLDERS
* Select the File Types tab
* Select the image file type from the listing, and click the Advanced button
* Create a new action by clicking New
* In the Action text box, type Edit
* In the Application used to perform action box, type the full path to the image editor application
* Click OK, OK to close the dialog

The default image editor application is now set for that particular file type.

Note: In step 3 above, if the Advanced button is not available, click the Restore button once so that the Advanced button replaces the Restore button

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 04 August 2008 - 04:20 PM.

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

It's funny that both my vista computers default to "Windows Photo Gallery" when i click on edit.

Maybe Vista changed it, so I checked it once more and it's Paint that opens when I R-click on an image and choose Edit. But anyway thanks, and I'll check first if that imgeditor does the job b4 I tamper with the registry.