Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Norton

• Please log in to reply

armehharvey

armehharvey

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I want to replace Norton Antivirus on my daughter's laptop.
I see there is a list of Free Antivirus Software, Free Online Virus Scanners, Free Virus Removal Tools for Specific Infections, Free Spyware Detection and Removal, Free Online Spyware Detection and Removal, Free Spyware Prevention, Free Firewalls, Free Rootkit Detection and Removal.

My question is: can I pick one from each of the above categories? I.E. do they cause any conflicts, there was a note that said only install one Firewall...
So can I select one product from each category?
Like Avast, Panda, SuperAntiSpyware, Ewido, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall.
Will these all work together ok?

Thanks for you help.

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Yes its true defiantley only install one firewall as these do have conflicts,

As far as i know, You can pick anyone from these catagories and i dont think they will conflict with each other,

I have AVG 8.0, SpyBot S&D and lavasoft installed and they all work fine for me with no problems, so i think your all good to go!

one thing i would say thoe is that some of the firewalls can be a bit of a problem to start with but once you get them setup properly your fine!

Hope this helps

SpuD

armehharvey

armehharvey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I only see 3 things on the Geeks site listed under Firewall.. in your list:
AVG 8.0, SpyBot S&D and lavasoft; is one of these a firewall?
:)

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

I want to replace Norton Antivirus on my daughter's laptop.
I see there is a list of Free Antivirus Software, Free Online Virus Scanners, Free Virus Removal Tools for Specific Infections, Free Spyware Detection and Removal, Free Online Spyware Detection and Removal, Free Spyware Prevention, Free Firewalls, Free Rootkit Detection and Removal.

My question is: can I pick one from each of the above categories? I.E. do they cause any conflicts, there was a note that said only install one Firewall...
So can I select one product from each category?
Like Avast, Panda, SuperAntiSpyware, Ewido, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall.
Will these all work together ok?

Thanks for you help.

I am not an expert, but the main areas of security are anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall, so you can have one anti-virus, one firewall, and one MAIN anti-spyware. You could use one anti-spyware as your primary one that runs around the clock securing your computer from spyware, such as the recommended SuperAntiSpyware. However, you could periodically use other anti-spyware programs from the list to check your computer manually. Some of the other ones may find something that SuperAntiSpyware missed. However, you only want one of each of the 3 categories running around the clock, such as Avast, SuperAntispyware, and Comodo. Also, SpywareBlaster is something that you should always have running on your computer and keep updated.

However, Panda and Ewido, if I am correct are online virus and spyware scanners. They are programs you run when you want to check your computer to see if the above programs let anything through, so you could just use any of the scanners from the list periodically. Different scanners may find different infections. And if Panda or Ewido find a virus or spyware on your computer, you would use one of the removal tools listed to remove them.

Again, I am not an expert, but this is a little background I have picked up, which I hope is accurate.

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Geeks to Go gives SpyBot S&D very poor ratings now.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
In my experience, uninstalling Norton can be a real pain. I would download the Norton Removal Tool, downloadable here. Run that and it pretty much yanks Norton completely out of the system.

Edited by jt1990, 28 July 2008 - 09:40 AM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

No, these are anti virus (AVG) and anti-spyware (Spybot and Lavasoft)

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Yes sorry, they are all antiVirus / Malware tools

For firewalls, the good ones i have used are Comodo, Ashampoo and Sygate.

Im not sure if sygate is still around or not but that was one of the best i used!

Also i was wondering why G2G gives spybot such a bad rating as i find it quite an effective tool..?

ScittS

ScittS

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I may be wrong but didn't someone else acquire Sygate. I believe symantec(norton) now has sygate but it looks as though 5.6 version is still out there.

Just info...... :)

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Yes i think you might be right there, but you can still find it on someplaces,

Also if you use lavasoft adaware and spybot, spybot will give you a warning saying that adaware may find some files spybots uses as infections, and that these are just the backups ofeverything you revomed with spybot whjich get deleted after reboot, (its if you revomed something you didnt want to or it caused more problems)

Still havent had this problem myself thoe!

SpuD

armehharvey

armehharvey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thank you all for your considerate replies! And also for the tool to get rid of Norton... I had not really thought too much about how I was going to remove it all. :)

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
no problem, and yeas norton can is a right bummer to unistall, no idea why they make it so difficult to get rid of!