Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need shortcut to change default printer

• Please log in to reply

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I need to make a shortcut\icon on the desktop that when clicked it will change the default printer to a specific printer.

This computer has two printers connected via a lpt switch that you need to change manually to choose the printer. The person who uses the pc can manage that but going to right click and changing the default printer is a bit too much. Her english is not too good....

To have two icons for switching printers she can mange.

Thanx

Advertisements

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello :)

This can be accomplished by following the below steps:

1. Navigate your way to the Start button and then in the start menu, choose the Control Panel.
2. Next look for the Printers and Faxes icon and open it.
3. Right click on the first of the two printers you want to accomplish this for and select Create Shortcut. A message will inform you saying that the shortcut will be placed on the desktop - Select Yes.
4. Repeat step 3 but for the second of the two printers.
5. With the two new shortcuts on the desktop, rename the two of them to "Colour Printer" and Black and White Printer" or whatever is best that will help distinguish the two.

Now to set one as the Default Printer, all you need to do is right click on the one you want and select Set as Default Printer :) (So to set the black and white printer to the default one, right click on the corresponding icon on the desktop and choose Set as Default Printer.

Edited by TechSabre, 28 July 2008 - 06:23 AM.

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I did that at the moment but I keep on getting called back. The user does not really understand the english of "default printer"
Is there a way that you only need 2 double click and not right click and choose.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
All hail VBS

http://www.computerp...inter_Bonus.htm

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip