Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network keeps disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

mickol

mickol

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi everyone, your replies have been really fast in the past so i hope that you can help me again this time.

I have setup a wireless network between my laptop (the client) and PC (the host that connects to dial-up internet). The laptop has a wireless card intel pro network connection and my PC has a d-link wireless adapter. The first day it worked fine i could use the internet on the laptop for hours on end. But then it suddenly started disconnecting and reconnecting automaticallly after only a few minutes connected. The network also has WEP security.

Thanks guys hope to hear from you soon with a possible solution :tazz:.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
What version of Windows are you using? Do you have SP2 installed? Does your Local Area Connection display any message when you disconnect(ie: Limited or no connectivity)? Do you have anti-spyware and anti-virus protection installed on your computers? Do you have HiJackThis installed? Have you run HiJackThis, and if you have, could you please post the log. Do you have any firewalls installed?

If you have SP2 installed, the most likely cause of these disconnections is Media Sense, or a glitch in SP2. Visit these two sites to find out how to fix these.
http://www.michna.co...xMediaSense.htm
http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

If neither of those fixes the problem, then please post your answers to my questions.