Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iTunes--Is it safe?

• Please log in to reply

I_Need_a_Geek

I_Need_a_Geek

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Installing and using iTunes to keep my music organized (not to download, but to catalogue)...does this open the door for potential malware and spyware and virus threats?

Additionally, I was wondering if there are any other programs that I could use in lieu of iTunes that do the same job. I just iPod-readied my van and I want to continue using my 30GB iPod Video (I reformatted my computer to eliminate some viruses recently).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by I_Need_a_Geek, 28 July 2008 - 02:28 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It wouldn't really make you more susceptible to malware or viruses. It can however, make you more vulnerable to a direct hacking attempt. I have not seen specific exploits for iTunes but anything that listens on a port can be exploited. Are you going to get hacked because you use iTunes? Probably not.

HarryX

HarryX

• Pip
  • 7 posts
To transfer music onto your iPod I would suggest foobar and the component foo_dop.
I never really liked the iTunes software as my computer would just suffer while that was open, but foobar is incredible.
I highly recommend it and I have not had any problems with foobar or foo_dop at all.

KillerShark1978

KillerShark1978

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I would not worry about using iTunes there is no or an insignificant amount of threat from using the software, to answer the question, iTunes is safe to use, if your computer has been exposed and picked up some viruses I would worry more about the anti-virus software you are using

Edited by KillerShark1978, 09 September 2008 - 01:24 AM.