Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop: c0000221 {bad image checksum} comdlg32.dll

• Please log in to reply

mmharen

mmharen

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
my first forum, hope I am doing this right...
My nephew plugged in his samsung mp3 player using the usb drive and now there is this error after the windows loading screen...
STOP: C0000221 [bad image checksum] the image comdlg32.dll is possibly corrupt. the header checksum does not match the corrupted checksum.
I have been trying to find some help online, but as I am not very computer savvy I need really 'dumbed down' instructions, for instance, I do not know what/ how to 'Flash the BIOS' as suggested in another post.
any help would be great.

Edited by mmharen, 28 July 2008 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
According to Microsoft the error occurs because some application forced itself on the operating system, replacing the missing or corrupt file with a file of itself.

Please use this link to download the damaged file. Download it to your desktop. Right click the zipped file and unzip it. Double click and Install the file.

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
but I cannot get to my desk top, I cannot get past the blue screen with the error message.

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have managed to do and F12 when trying to reboot and have a dos prompt screen, can I do anything with this?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That was silly of me. Sorry. Please try to boot the computer while tapping the F8 key as soon as you start the computer. If successful a menu of boot options will show up. Choose to boot to last good configuration. If lucky, that will fix the computer. If not, start again and choose to boot to safe mode with networking. This will enable downloading and installing the file.

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, I did the F8 - boot to last know configuration, and still got the stop screen.
tried second option, this time I saw a long list of.....directories? (not sure what it was) then back to the blue screen.

ugh.

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
should I use my 'reinstallation CD ' it has only service pack 1 on it, but I think that I have a service pack 2 cd that came with my laptop. Do you think this will boot from the disk?

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just thought of something, can I copy the specific dll from the website you mentioned and burn it to a disk, start up in dos prompt and copy the dll file from the disk to the hard drive? or is that completely dumb?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes, I believe it's possible. Please unzip the folder before you burn the files.

Another option that I wanted to suggest is to use the recovery console if it's available on your XP-SP1 disk.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the CD drive and reboot the computer. Windows Setup screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the CD drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a password. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type copy x:\i386\comdlg32.dll c: (please note the space before c). If not successful try again without .dll. Please replace the X with the drive letter of your CD drive.

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
well.....your excellent directions have successfully guided me through recovery and to the DOS prompt. however, I cannot get the cd drive door to open so that I can put in the disk with the copied .dll on it!
Is there a dos command to open that drive? (trying to open it manually does not work...)
help! I feel like I am almost there!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There is a tiny hole in front of the CD drive. Use a sharp object like an un-bent paper clip to push through it. The door will open and you can place the drive.

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, that sounds good, I will try it tonight. Another question though, should it be copied directly into the C: or a WINDOWS folder?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try C:. I believe it will find the appropriate place.

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
K, Thanks for all your help, I hope this works!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thinking again. Please try the command as follows:

copy x:\i386\comdlg32.dll c:\windows\system32