Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop: c0000221 {bad image checksum} comdlg32.dll

• Please log in to reply

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hi, well.....I tried the latest. I did manage to get the cd drive open with a paper clip -not as easy as I thought it would be- I thought I would just push and it would pop out, but it sort of sprung out a little and I had to manually pull it out and push it in- so I don't know if that is the reason that the message I am getting on the DOS prompt: Access is denied.

so I did a D:\ DIR , so that I could see the files listed and it says: THERE IS NO FLOPPY DISK OR CD IN THE DRIVE

I guess it can't 'see' the drive? but it booted up with the install/recover disk, so I don't know.

any suggestions?
thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You must get to Recovery Console as describes in post no. 2, then use the command as described in my last post. You don't have to use DIR command at all. The BIOS must be set to boot from the CD drive. When it loads you get the option to "press any key to start setup". This message remains on the screen for about 5 seconds during which you have to press any key to start setup. If you don't, the computer will look in other drives for an operating system.

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am at the dos prompt when I do this, isn't that correct?
I followed the instructions, but when I did the copy I got a message : Access Denied

the only reason I did the DIR was to see if I could see what was on the cd

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If access was denied you probably didn't type the administrator password when you had to. Please do so again. If you don't remember the password or if there was no password but the computer still ask you for one, then I am afraid that I will not be able to help any further.

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hi,
sorry it took me so long to try the previous solution....
I was FINALLY able to access my cd drive (I was using d instead of e...duh) anyway, I tried the copy command described, and these are the results:

so I did copy e:\i386\comdlg32.dll c:\windows\system32\comdlg32.dll
response: File not found
so I did a DIR and saw the file was actually COMDLG32.DL_

so I did copy e:\i386\comdlg32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\comdlg32.dll

response: THE FILE COULD NOT BE COPIED

I did some other web searching and saw the suggestion (microsoft site) to use command:

EXTRACT e:\i386\comdlg32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\comdlg32.dll

response: COMMAND NOT RECOGNIZED

I really don't know what to do....
thanks for your time and patience

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Try your dos commands and look in these areas. This is where I found the file on my computer. Maybe you can copy from 1 of these locations.

C:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$
C:\windows\system32
C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386
C:\windows\system32\dllcache

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,
I did find a comdlg32.dll in my servicepackfiles directory,

I did this command:
COPY C:\WINDOWS\SERVICEPACKFILES\I386\COMDLG32.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMDLG32.DLL

Response:
tHE FILE COULD NOT BE COPIED.

Why can't the file be copied?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you run a copy or extract commands you don't write the file's name in the second part of the command. Please try again in the form copy x:\i386\comdlg32.dll c:\windows\system32. Please note that there is no file name after system32.

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hi,
I just tried that and I am getting file not found...
because the file on my disk (that I downloaded from the internet) is actually COMDLG32.DL_ (not dlL)... so should I just copy the dl_ file into that folder?

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I tried copying the dl_ file to the systm32 folder (without qualifying with comdlg32.dll) and still got the message:
THE FILE COULD NOT BE COPIED

Advertisements

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Would it make sense to reinstall the operating system? (although, I am not really sure how to do that either..)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The command should be as follows.

COPY C:\WINDOWS\SERVICEPACKFILES\I386\COMDLG32.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Are you sure you are at a dos prompt?

mmharen

mmharen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hi,
yes I am at the dos prompt.
I went back to the root so the entire thing looks like this

C:\>COPY C:\WINDOWS\SERVICEPACKFILES\I386\COMDLG32.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
Overwrite COMDLG32.DLL? (Yes/No/All): Y
The file could not be copied

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can run XP repair as per instructions in the link in my list below. I didn't suggest it before because this process quite often create other problems. Alternatively you can clean install your operating system (backup data, format and install). If you go to format please note that you will have to reinstall all your drivers and applications.

I see that 123Runner has joined forces. Please wait somewhat to see if he has any idea about how to overcome the copy/extract problem.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
How are you getting to the dos prompt?

I have an idea, but I need time to try it on my test unit.