Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB (laptop PCCARD) trouble

• Please log in to reply

knivsvart

knivsvart

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there.

Since my external (LACIE) hard drive crashed a while ago my laptop (Dell Inspiron, XP [Swedish laguage] SP2 Pentium 3 etc) can not recognise any of the units which I connect to it via a USB2 PC Card. Units connect as usual via the computers built-in USB 1.0 ports, though.

Thinking that the problem might be the PC Card, I bought a new one (of a different brand), but sadly that didn't change anything.
I also (re?)installed the USB drivers which came with the new card without result.

Yesterday I bought a new (WD passport usb-powered) hard drive and it really sucks not being able to use it properly.

Whereas it connects just fine via the USB1 port, when I try to connect it through the PC Card, Windows starts a program which asks if I want to connect to "Windows Update" in order to locate the right drivers (Which can't be found). I tried to find the drivers manually but didn't really no what to look for, (Should it be the USB drivers, or the drivers for the disk?).
The only thing that seem to be working properly is the USBs power supply.

Apprecite any help, thanks.

Edited by knivsvart, 28 July 2008 - 11:46 AM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well if you have a pcmcia card for the usb 2.0 it might be that either you need to reinstall the pcmcia drivers or what ever caused the original problem may have burned out the card slot.... or the card bus ( in that case no card slot will work )

knivsvart

knivsvart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
According to Windows the PCMCIA card is working fine. Also the card is omitting power to the units so, so my guess is that the slots are not all burnt out.
And, yes, I did install all the drivers which came with the new card.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well are they working? I've had windows tell me many times that things were working and they were not... I'd uninstall the pcmcia drivers and reinstall them... if not then well good luck.... obviously you know what you are doing....

knivsvart

knivsvart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I didn't mean to sound rude, sorry. I appreciate any help i can get.
I'll try reinstalling the drivers ( I thought you were refering the drivers for the actual card, but I guess you were'nt)
thanks

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I didn't mean to sound rude, sorry. I appreciate any help i can get.
I'll try reinstalling the drivers ( I thought you were refering the drivers for the actual card, but I guess you were'nt)
thanks

I appologize as well... I've had a rough day.... I'm working on my normal day off ( yes my ONE day off ) and I had 3 family members in a car accident last night.... I tend to get frustrated when someone won't try something because they "know" different obviously that wasn't really you but it sounded like it and again I'm already on edge...

again good luck..