Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply

totalconfusion08

totalconfusion08

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi

Ive had a high cpu usage probelm for about 3 weeks now. When i start up it goes right up to 100%.
It calms down a bit after that. It'll vary from 3% to 26% even when im not doing anything.
Ive been searching for answers for ages and the only thing thats worked at all is going back to wmp10 (which doesnt make sense to me cos i'd been using wmp 11 for a year and a half and had no problems)
Even after wmp10 my cpu was still high enough to concern me so i tried a system restore but it wouldnt restore for whatever reason. So i just did a complete recovery and still the spu is running high.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As with anything, there could be numerous things causing this.
Look at the process tab on the task manager after you start up for any spikes in usage.
What do you have running on startup? The icons by the clock.
Look at the startup tab in msconfig for any programs you do not recognise. (start/run and enter msconfig and hit ok)

This could also be malware related. You should take a trip to the malware forum.

Do you have any programs that try to access the internet upon startup?

totalconfusion08

totalconfusion08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply. Heres what i have running during start up:
TINTSETP
TINTSETP
sm56hlpr
NvCpl
nwiz
NvMctray
HDAShcut
jusched
RealPLay
Vaderetro_oe
DetectorApp
ISUSPM
issch
ccApp
scureapp
PCMService
IMJPMIG
AOLDial
qttask
KHALMNPR
AOL Software
HPWuSchd2
avgtray
msmsgs
SmpSys
ctfmon
GoogleToolbarNotifier
btdna
AOL 9.0 Tray Icon
AOL Companion
HP Digital Imaging Monitor
Logitech SetPoint
Netgear WG111v3

Apologies if that turns out to be hard to read. Once i start up ive been ending the obvious processes i dont need but im not sure what the other ones on so i dont touch them.

Gonna restart now and see whats taking most usage.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the first thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't

searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING

SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit....

then go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB.....if its a tower...uncheck everything

[b]EXCEPT your AV and firewall
...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck

or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not
remove them ..they are still available to use...

Disable the Automatic Search for Network Printers and Folders
To disable the automatic search for network printers and folders:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and click Folder Options to open the Folder Options dialog box.
2. Click the View tab.
3. In the Advanced Settings list, click to clear the Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers check box.
4. Click OK.

Edited by happyrck, 28 July 2008 - 04:06 PM.

totalconfusion08

totalconfusion08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay thanks. Ive unchecked the indexing and the automatic search.
When i start up svchost.exe is taking up a lot of memory (anywhere between 20,000k and 40,000) + CCAPP.exe is taking up about 20,000k aswell.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ccapp.exe is a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus...
Norton is a resource hog...what are your system specs...

totalconfusion08

totalconfusion08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well i downloaded avg? or something like that a couple hours ago so im considering erasing Norton.
System spec:
Windows Xp Service Pack 3
Dual Core Pentium
1gb Ram
120 gb memory

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get the norton removal tool...

AVG works just fine...I don't just recommend it I use it... :)

totalconfusion08

totalconfusion08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK no probs thanks for the help :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after removing norton and installing AVG...update and run a scan...the antispyware component in AVG can find things that norton will miss

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Appears the most popular problem is with an IDE device reverting to PIO, I just had this problem with my computer the other day, the short story is:

-Go to Device Manager (right-click my computer, select manage, select device manager)
- Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller
- For each IDE Channel, usually Primary and Secondary, right click and select Properties, go to the Advanced Settings tab and look at Current Transfer Mode, if it says PIO then this is probably your problem.

Uninstall the IDE controller, scan for hardware changes, reinstall and check again, it should say DMA or Ultra DMA.

If your IDE channels are already running [Ultra]DMA then this isn't the answer, but a driver issue is likely, check for the latest BIOS and device drivers for your hardware.

totalconfusion08

totalconfusion08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok i got it reduced somewhat so thanks :) . When im just running aol it'll run anywhere bewteen 4 and 10%. When i open another program it'll run between 10 and 20%. AOL and Limewire spike aaround 100,000k at first then settle around 65,000k and 78,000k.

A couple things i noticed which probably dont mean anything but I'll ask anyway.
When i start up just before the windows xp screen, a black screen appears asking me to choose which operating system i want to use.
Either Windows XP Home Edition or A Recovery Program. Is this normal?
Also, i leave my computer on standby quite a lot. Would this slow the system down in anyway?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Standby usually sends a signal to power down the monitor, but may also slow down the whole system (in a BIOS without a Doze mode).
disable standby in the power settings...in the control panel...see if you get a speed bump....

AOL is another resource hog...I advise you get anything related to aol off your computer...(uninstalled)

and Limewire doesn't include malware on the newer versions but the files you download have a huge chance of having a trojan in them ..
if you swap enough files YOU WILL GET INFECTED...

I suggest you to go to the malware forum...start here...if your still having problems after those steps...post a hijackthis log here...

totalconfusion08

totalconfusion08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Will do, thanks.