Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP wont install ?

• Please log in to reply

deanus

deanus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just tried to reinstall xp from disc and all i get is "no valid system partitions found setup is unable to continue" ???

So obviously i googled about for an answer but just got confused.

Its a desktop tower pc running XP pro which is a legal copy,here's the specs.

MSI K7N2G-L mobo,AMD XP2500+barton CPU,2X512mb PC3200 ram,160 gig master HDD,120 slave HDD.
500 gig maxtor external HDD
m-audiophile 2496 soundcard.550w power supply.

Just ask if any more specs are needed to be known.

I originally went to defrag the drives but it wouldnt let me despite trying everything and this xp installs just got creakier as times passed.
So i thought easier just to reinstall afresh but it wont let me.
Naturally i backed everything up on the external hard drive so i wanted to wipe both internal HDD's,re-install xp and have the system running
like new again.

Can anyone help me re-install xp ?? maybe even wipe the drives ? thanks everyone.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Is your master HDD a ide or a sata drive?
If its a sata, then you need to install the drivers thru F6 key when asked.

Boot from the XP cd and follow the instructions. Format and create partitions when asked. I would also disconnect the slave drive.

deanus

deanus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks just looked in device manager and they both say IDE at the start so i'm presuming they are IDE's
I never had to install SATA drivers so again i'm presuming neither are SATA drives.

One says samsung 1634N which is 160 gigs location 0 primary ATA channel and the other says IC35L 120AVV207-0 location 1 primary ATA channel.

the samsung 160 gig one is pretty full though around 90 %,i know that slows it down but does it matter for a fresh install ?
Oh XP is installed on that drive thats very full,if that matters ?

So let me get this right.
Try disconnecting the slave drive ? then try reinstalling xp again ?
If that works to install xp can i then "add" the slave drive back in afterwards ? Because i would much prefer to have both HDD's running slave and master rather than leave one out.
It all used to work just fine like this,so i know the PC is capable of working ok setup like this and device manager tells me the devices are working properly.
It's just clogged up with rubbish,the important stuffs saved and i wanted to just reinstall and get back to a clean system.

I'm no PC wizard and i've reinstalled xp before in this config and it was fine,but thanks for any help i do appreciate it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Disconnecting the slave is to prevent formatting the wrong drive. It can be attached again later.
Is the drive seen in the bios?

WINDOWS REINSTALL