Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to log into Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Artanis

Artanis

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello. My laptop was working fine until I decided to change the computer name through the property settings of 'My Computer'. It required a restart for the changes to take effect, as normal. However, whenever I get to the login screen, it just hangs for several minutes before telling me that my password is incorrect. And what's really strange is that this computer was never passworded.

I googled the problem and came across an answer. Supposedly it has something to do with the registry, and the problem can be solved with a program called ERD. Unfortunately, it's no longer available, and I don't know where to find this "Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack" either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried safe mode yet...usually by tapping the F8 key as soon as you power up

Artanis

Artanis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

have you tried safe mode yet...usually by tapping the F8 key as soon as you power up

Yes. The login screen is still there.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you just press enter for the password...

Artanis

Artanis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just tried it - no good. :)