Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram and blue screen

• Please log in to reply

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I need help please.
I have a Gateway 2100 desktop computer. It has 256 mb ram now, I bought Ram for it from the same place I buy my ram from.
Anyway, I ran a scan on Cruicial, this is the scan...http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=D85F267EA5CA7304

I bought this.....PC3200 DDR 400 PC 3200 2700 2100 DDR RAM MEMORY

Anyway, I took out the 256 ram and put in the 1gb. I have changed out ram before and never had an issue.

This time when I put it in it said memory decrease. I thought that wasn't right so I took it back out and tried mine again.

I put the 1 gb back in, samething, so I went ahead and clicked continue, then I got a blue screen. Didn't read it all, but it said something about bad something, then said further about changing bios, etc. I have never had this happen and I have never had to change anything before.

The back of the new ram says tested ok, is it in fact ok or do I need to do something?
Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Check what sizes of ram you can use from the Gateway site. You may be able to put one gig in but only in 512mb increments. It also may have different settings for voltage and timing.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
According to crucial I can have 2gb.