Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Setup Problems

• Please log in to reply

Hex_Bug

Hex_Bug

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've got 2 servers that are basically the same. The only differences are that the production server has a Dual-Core Xeon Processor with a RAID 5 config and the test server has a Core 2 Duo with a mirrored RAID config. I set up each server to have an IP address on our school's LAN and an IP on the DMZ for access outside the school. Both have the DMZ nics are first to receive data what comes to the server as defined in the advanced options in the network interfaces window (suggested to by a tech installing the program being used on these servers). The production server is working just fine.

The problem is that the test server will not keep a connection on the DMZ nic. I only monitor the HTTP access but I cannot access the server via Timbuktu when HTTP is down as well. I've done a lot of troubleshooting and narrowed it down to one possible issue. I have both nics set up on a static IP address. When I make the LAN adapter's IP dynamic the HTTP and Timbuktu connections come back up an stay up for a few hours and then go back down until I release and renew the LAN IP again. What's the problem here and how can I go about fixing this? Anymore questions please let me know. Thanks!

Test Server Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
2x 160GB HDD
Dual Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise

Production Server Specs
Intel Dual-Core Xeon @ 2.3 GHz
4GB RAM
3x 160GB HDD
Dual Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is this a school project?

While I will not be troubleshooting this issue I will tell you one thing: In a production environment you should be using port forwarding not DMZs. DMZs are primarily for game servers which are not firewall friendly. In a production environment you don't want anything coming in our out that you didn't specifically say can come or go.

Something to check: are these servers static IPs reserved in the DHCP servers IP pool.

Hex_Bug

Hex_Bug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
This is in a production environment for a student information system. One of the requirements put forth by the company is that the servers are in the DMZ. The student information system will be the only thing running on the servers.

I'll double check to make sure these addresses are reserved tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure they are.

Edited by Hex_Bug, 28 July 2008 - 06:01 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You will not likely find help for you issue here. We are not here to replace your company's IT department. Please review our TOS.

Hex_Bug

Hex_Bug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Perhaps I should clarify my typing. I am my school's IT department, I'm not trying to go around or trump anyone. I'm just trying to get some help. The company I speak of is a software vendor, we purchased some software from them. The software company requires their program run on dedicated servers in the DMZ. They would not give me hardware support anyway.

Edited by Hex_Bug, 28 July 2008 - 08:38 PM.