Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA & IDE Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply

Jsant

Jsant

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just bought a new DELL 4700 with an 80gb SATA hdd. There is not a secondary IDE controller on the MB to add an IDE HD. I have both a DVD drive and a DVD-+RW drive on the existing IDE controller. I bought an SATA/IDE converter and connected my 160gb IDE HDD to the secondary IDE connector. The system would not boot and would not recognize either drive. I went into the bios and enabled both the SATA drives and the IDE drives. I then switched the SATA cables and the sytem booted under the SATA hard drive. It still would not recognize the IDE HDD. I changed the jumpers to master before I did this. Any ideas on how I can get it to recognize the IDE HD.

Thanks, John

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
you might wanna do some research on the computer- some computers can hold and recognize only a certain amount of space- have you tried puttting the the 160 to the master and 80 as the slave to test?

Jsant

Jsant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I thought that the SATA was already a master and the instructions on the SATA/IDE converter told me to set the IDE drive to Master as well. I can try to set the SATA to slave and see what happens then, I guess.

John