Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card problem

• Please log in to reply

fodelement

fodelement

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I installed an ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series graphics card in my computer about two and a half months ago just as a place holder until I get my new computer. Every thing was fine until I need to take my computer out of its case and put it in a new one. About a day or two later I noticed that a few images here and there have what looks like rainbow pixels in a line flashing. I assumed that it was the graphics card over heating but when I go to the "catalyst control center" it says the GPU is only at 48-49 degrees C. I opened the computer again and all the fans are on and the computer itself does not feel hot. I can not think of what the problem could be. If anyone has any ideas I would sure appreciate the input.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Check to make sure the card itself is installed snuggly, with the back latched in completely. A loose video card can cause these sorts of errors.

fodelement

fodelement

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the fast response mpfeif101 but I just removed the video card then put in back in and I am still having the same issue.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Are you overclocking your CPU?

Do you have a spare video card or another computer you can pull one from? I'd try another card in the computer to see if the problem is the card itself or something else in the system.

Unfortunately, video cards are one of the few system components that don't have that great of a diagnostic tool. If you want, you try the built in DirectX testing tool, go to"Start" ->"Run", then type in dxdiag and click ok. Go to the "Display" tab and there are a couple of test buttons you can push. It's not that thorough though, so don't use it as anything to prove your video card is good.

fodelement

fodelement

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well actually my LCD screen has input for both VGA and DVI so I have my computer hooked up in the DVI port and my xbox 360 through the VGA port so I can switch between the two in the push of a button. And early today I seen the same exact problem while playing xbox, this mean the problem has to be the screen. I just hope this means I need to get a new screen.