Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown = Restart

• Please log in to reply

stripesthegamer

stripesthegamer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello all, I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3. I've had this problem for about 6 months now. Whenever i shut down my computer, via Start>Turn off computer>shutdown It does the typical option as if i clicked restart, the proper restart not the instant power off power on type. I have tried several shutdown methods to no avail. I had windows SP2 when this problem started if this makes a difference. When i even press the shutdown button on the computer case itself it does the same thing. I had a topic like this earlier that never got resolved...i was told to try task manager shutdown...that never worked, nor did changing the computer to reboot on an error. I checked the event log and nothing out of order that i thought was related to rebooting/shutting down was there. So if any of you have any ideas please post them. Thanks

Advertisements

jimmysonmycream

jimmysonmycream

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey. :) This forum seems to have the same problem, with many resolved problems.
http://www.annoyance...inxp/1008024420

PS: Seems like BIOS changes seem to work best.

Edited by jimmysonmycream, 28 July 2008 - 05:56 PM.

stripesthegamer

stripesthegamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks. After spending some time there and doing everything at once i dont know which one, but it now shuts down properly...hopefully this will now stop my quick launch from going away cause i had to hold down button and it wouldnt save settings