Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Switching back from OpenDNS

• Please log in to reply

ferrija1

ferrija1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I switched to OpenDNS a few days ago only to find the unhelpful guide page popping up time and time again, so I want to switch back to my previous (and default) Verizon FiOS DNS server. Can anyone help?

Thanks! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just undo what you did to change to OpenDNS. You'd have changed something, just change that back.

ferrija1

ferrija1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There were fields in my Actiontec MI424WR router that specified the primary and secondary DNS servers, and I can't just leave them blank -- the software won't let me.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
You can use your default gateway as your primary and secondary server. You can get your gateway's IP by doing an ipconfig.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Glancing through the manual (available here) for your router it looks like there is a drop down on the page for DNS settings. There should be the option to "Obtain automatically". If not contact your ISP. They should be able to give you their DNS servers.

Verizon has public DNS servers that are easily Googled. ;-)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Just find what your ISPs DNS servers are and put them at the top of the listings. You can leave OpenDNS as the last listing, it will act as a backup in can the ISP servers are down. You don't need to completely remove it from the listings.

ferrija1

ferrija1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You can use your default gateway as your primary and secondary server. You can get your gateway's IP by doing an ipconfig.

Ok, thanks a bunch. Problem solved.

Glancing through the manual (available here) for your router it looks like there is a drop down on the page for DNS settings. There should be the option to "Obtain automatically". If not contact your ISP. They should be able to give you their DNS servers.

Verizon has public DNS servers that are easily Googled. ;-)

I didn't see any such option (see attachments), and believe it or not, I couldn't find the address of Verizon's DNS servers after a few Googles. I thought that was quite odd.

Thanks again! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture_2.jpg

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Glad we could help. :)