Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help removing Malware/virus remnents. [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

markrazz

markrazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Also when trying to access D: in my computer it opens internet explorer and I get the message

Cannot find 'File:///D:/folder.htt Make sure the path on Internet address is correct.

Searching this forum does turn up folder.htt in the registry.

markrazz

Advertisements

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello markazz,

Do you have that problem since you followed my latest intructions?

Thunderbird1988

markrazz

markrazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes this is something I forgot to mention in the beginning, still is occurring as is the problem with windows update hanging blank @ microsoft

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello markrazz.

1. Launch Notepad, and copy/paste the contents of the quote box below into a new Notepad file. Save it with file name options.txt and save as file type: all files to your desktop.

RegSearch Options File

[Search]

folder.htt

[Exclude]

[Options]
Filter=KVDLUI

2. Download Registry Search to your desktop.
  • Right click on the compressed RegSearch folder, and choose "Extract All". In the box that pops open, click "Next", then "Next" again, and then "Finish". You now have another RegSearch folder on your desktop.
  • Open the new folder, and double click on regsearch.exe
  • Click "Import" in the lower left corner and browse to the options.txt file that you just saved on your desktop. Do not choose the one in the RegSearch folder itself.
  • Click OK and Registry Search will scan your registry for the file(s), and a Notepad box will open with a report.
  • Please reply here with the entire contents of the Notepad file from RegSearch.

Thunderbird1988

markrazz

markrazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Registry Search 2.0 by Bobbi Flekman © 2005
; Version: 2.0.5.0

; Results at 7/31/2008 4:32:32 PM for strings:
; 'winrnr.dll'
; 'rsvpsp.dll'
; 'mswsock.dll'
; Strings excluded from search:
; (None)
; Search in:
; Registry Data
; HKEY_USERS

; End Of The Log...

FYI I am still having a problem getting the downloads you ask for. The save button is always dimmed. But if I right click on your link an open in another tab everything is great, I don't know if this is something with Firefox or something else trying to block your help LOL

markrazz

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello markazz,

Download GMER from here:
http://www.gmer.net/files.php

Unzip it to the desktop.

Open the program and click on the Rootkit tab.
Make sure all the boxes on the right of the screen are checked, EXCEPT for ‘Show All’.
Click on Scan.
When the scan has run click Copy and paste the results (if any) into this thread.

Thunderbird1988

markrazz

markrazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
GMER 1.0.14.14536 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-08-01 09:41:44
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

---- System - GMER 1.0.14 ----

SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwClose [0xF5872618]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwCreateKey [0xF58724D4]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwDeleteValueKey [0xF58729B2]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwDuplicateObject [0xF58720AC]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenKey [0xF58725AE]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenProcess [0xF5871FEC]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenThread [0xF5872050]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwQueryValueKey [0xF58726CE]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwRestoreKey [0xF587268E]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwSetValueKey [0xF587280E]

---- User IAT/EAT - GMER 1.0.14 ----

IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9A27] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9979] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9979] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9A27] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9979] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9A27] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9A27] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9979] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9979] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9A27] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!SetUnhandledExceptionFilter] [6BFA9A27] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134682044\ee\AOLSoftware.exe[432] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll [KERNEL32.dll!LoadLibraryA] [6BFA9979] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOLDiag\tbdiag.dll (AOL Diagnostics/AOL LLC)
IAT C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe[716] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe [ADVAPI32.dll!CreateProcessAsUserW] 00370002
IAT C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe[716] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe [KERNEL32.dll!CreateProcessW] 00370000

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.14 ----

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs aswMon2.SYS (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat fltMgr.sys (Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager/Microsoft Corporation)
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat aswMon2.SYS (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP/ALWIL Software)

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.14 ----

I received this error on startup today if it has an relevence to what we are doing?

Error Loading NVCPL.DLL The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

markrazz

markrazz

markrazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Error did not reoccur after reboting

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello markrazz,

Could you tell me since when the problem with the missing folder.htt occurs?

If you haven't tried already could you lease reinstall Firefox to try if it solves the problem with the download button?

To solve Windowsupdate, please try the steps discribed here.

Please download this Registryfile to your desktop, double click it and allow it to merge with the registry to repair System Restore.

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Accept

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

Thunderbird1988

markrazz

markrazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Could you tell me since when the problem with the missing folder.htt occurs?

The problem is when trying to access RECOVERY (D:) in my computer it opens an empty internet explorer window and I get the message

Cannot find 'File:///D:/folder.htt Make sure the path on Internet address is correct.

This has been happening since the start of this fourm. I did fail to mention it at the begging.

Before I started here and nothing was working I was getting a balloon error in the icon tray informing me this drive was full. I am not sure if it went away immediately after running ATF, Avast and MAMB or not. But as these scans were running i could see they were finding files on the D: drive for iTunes music. Since I knew Itunes was an uninstalled program. Unable to access D: through My Computer because of the described problem. I went old school, opened the Command prompt and RD the iTunes so that future scans would not be slowed by these files?

So what I know about this drive is that it can't be accessed through My Computer because of the mentioned error but can be through the command prompt.

I have reinstalled but not uninstalled Firefox.

The Blank Page Hang Workaround for Windows update did not work.
allow META REFRESH' setting was enabled and http://update.micros...ndowsupdate/v6/ gives me an error on page then done SMV slow moving vehicle symbol lower left corner.

I was able to merge the registry.

The Kaspersky WebScanner after clicking Accept it did not ask for and ActiveX component but Java update. Which was allowed.

Downloading program 100%

Updating the database 100%

Then I receive a dialogue box from informing me

Update has failed. Program has failed to start. Close the Kaspersky Online Scanner 7.0 window and open it again to install the program.

You must be online to update the Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 database. With the latest database updates, you can find new viruses and other threats. Please go online to use Kaspersky Online Scanner 7. [ERROR: Update description is corrupted or not found]

Continuously trying returns the same error. After posting this long message I will reboot and try again. BTW Avast was off.

markrazz

Advertisements

markrazz

markrazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
After rebooting and trying again.

Update has failed. Program has failed to start. Close the Kaspersky Online Scanner 7.0 window and open it again to install the program.

You must be online to update the Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 database. With the latest database updates, you can find new viruses and other threats. Please go online to use Kaspersky Online Scanner 7. [ERROR: Update description is corrupted or not found]

Markrazz

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello Markazz,

I have reinstalled but not uninstalled Firefox.

And that didn't solve the problem with the dimmed save button on Firefox? Do you also have downloadproblems using Internet Explorer?

gives me an error on page then done SMV slow moving vehicle symbol lower left corner.

Do you mean you get a symbol of the "slow moving verhicle" into you left bottom corner of your browser? Do you use Firefox or Internet Explorer to go to the Windowsupdatesite? Could you tell me what kind of error you get on the page?

Hmm if Kaspersky isn't working, it is better to use an other one.

Please run the F-Secure Online Scanner

Note: This Scanner is for Internet Explorer Only!
  • Follow the Instruction Here for installation.
  • Accept the License Agreement.
  • Once the ActiveX installs,Click Full System Scan
  • Once the download completes,the scan will begin automatically.
  • The scan will take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan completes, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.
  • Click the Show Report button and Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Thunderbird1988

markrazz

markrazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dear Thunderbird1988,

Thank you for your help, time and patience. Early this morning the decision was made to terminate this XP setup and perform a complete vendor system restore. It was determined that the loss of a few iTunes was not worth any more of your or my time and resources. The machine is fully restored, updated and ready for the daughter to go click click click. as we both know it will never be fully protected. I have learned much from this experience and will be better prepared in the future. This will be my first stop.

Please end/close/delete this post.

Thank You Thunderbird1988 for your help.

markrazz

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello Markazz,

I would like you to give some hints and tips to prevent future infections before closing this topic.

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

You can find instructions on how to enable and reenable system restore here:

Managing Windows Millenium System Restore

or

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Reenable system restore with instructions from tutorial above

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

• Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.