Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried Everything I Can Think Of...

• Please log in to reply

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
My fiance's dad gave us a computer that had just broken in the hopes that I could fix it. I have tried everything I can think of and am hoping someone has a suggestion. Heres the deal:

When the computer is all set up and ready to go, I turn it on and the power button lights up, fans turn on, and I you can see everything starting up (with the case open, obviously), but nothing comes to the monitor. The monitor acts like its not connected to anything. I have tried replacing the video card but that didnt work, I tried swapping out harddrives but the HD is fine, I tried new RAM but that is fine also. The only things I cant actually test without spending money are the mobo and processor. Anyone have any ideas?
Here is the motherboard...

http://h10025.www1.h...n...88&lang=en#

Let me know if there is anything else needed for any suggestions!

Advertisements

taru

taru

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
It could be suffering from what I just experienced earlier this weekend. Removing, cleaning, and re-seating the cpu + heatsink/fan worked for me as suggested by The Skeptic (http://www.geekstogo...84#entry1293884).

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
You could also try a known good power supply as when a power supply goes ( if it doesn't go violently ) it will still spin fans but won't provide enough power to actually start... barring that and the above pull the memory ( all of it ) and turn it on... most will beep... if not most likely the motherboard is toast... if it's an emachine it's most likely that the power supply has died and taken the motherboard with it....

good luck

--- edit ---

note some brands ( dell and compaq come to mind ) use proprietary power supplies.... at the vary least if you can't find info about the computer on the internet ( google or manufacturer website ) make sure the wires are in the same places and the same colors on the connector that goes to the motherboard... though that is NOT a guarantee.

Edited by shard92, 29 July 2008 - 09:04 AM.

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Awesome, thanks for the responses. I'm going to try to first remove all memory, as suggested, then check the power supply.

I'll let you know what happens.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Are you getting any beeps from the unit?
Is there anything displayed on the monitor, such as black screen, white cursor?
What color is the monitor power light? Yellow indicates power and it should turn green if its getting a signal. Green is good.

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I cant remember if I heard beeps from the POST, however, nothing is displayed on the monitor...says "No Signal" which is the same as if I unplug the vga cable from the pc entirely. The monitor just has no input and goes to sleep.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Can you try another monitor?
have you tried F8 safe mode. Safe mode loads all default drivers.

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Yes, Ive tried another monitor, and safemode doesnt do anything.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HAve you checked there is a speaker hooked up to the board so you can hear any post messages, allot of the time you do not get them anymore, its just a little speaker usually attached to the case all it can do is beep its a really simple thing.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HAve you checked there is a speaker hooked up to the board so you can hear any post messages, allot of the time you do not get them anymore, its just a little speaker usually attached to the case all it can do is beep its a really simple thing.

Advertisements

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
No, I havent checked that I'll check it and post back.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
If what you posted is your mother board then there is no connection for an external speaker just the small round black one on the board.
Try and disconnect the hard drives ,floppy and cd/dvd player also the data cable and also the power. Now leave only the graphics card and memory sticks and see if it post or beeps.

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hmm, I dont understand, how will I be able to disconnect the power, and still see if it beeps?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Leave the power to the mother board but not to the cd/dvd or hard drives.

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Alright gents, I'm back with an update!!

I tried all the previous suggestions and nothing would work, so I just forked up the cash and replaced the mobo with an identical one.
Well, I got the new mobo and installed it, and it powers on and i get video and everything! The only problem is, is that now I have no input devices registering. I have never bought and installed a brand new mobo before, I mean, Ive installed quite a few mobos, but never a brand new one, so i dont know if there is something I need to do..

When the computer loads up, it pops up with dozens of new hardware found messages, but there is nothing I can do, because it wont recognize mouse or keyboard input. I tried hooking up my keyboard to the PC, because I have a G15 and it has an lcd screen with lights, to see if it would power it up, and it doesnt, so its not sending power to any of the IO ports, or at least its not recognizing them.

So what do I need to do...flash bios or install drivers (somehow) or what? Any new suggestions?

Thanks in advance.