Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Tried Everything I Can Think Of...

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Check the power is hooked up properly and all the USB headers connected, also I would reinstall the OS you don't in theory need to reinstall for an identical board however it might be a slightly newer revision of the same board so not completely identical.

Advertisements

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Cool I'll give that a try and see what happens, I wonder tho, how can I reinstall anything, when I cant use a keyboard or mouse?

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Alright I double checked the power connectors and they are all perfect. Now, to reinstall the OS, I intended to do that anyway, but I dont know how I can do that when it wont recognize any I/O devices. But I have an idea, can I take the hard drive out and put it in another CPU, and reinstall the OS there, and then put it back in the broken CPU? Will that work, or will I have to install the drivers the hard drive while its in the computer it is intended for.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
The only way you could do that is if you put it into an exactly identical system.... windows xp and later will disable if they see too much ( according to microsoft formula ) hardware changes.

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
So does anyone have any help they can offer, I'm kind of stuck here :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Are you using a PS/2 or USB keyboard and mouse?
It may not work well with USB.
Have you gone in to the BIOS and made any changes?
If not go in and look around for any settings on enabling USB, proprietary devices, etc...

Edited by hfcg, 24 September 2008 - 08:05 PM.

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Ok I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Alright folks, I finally got it fixed and here it is!!!!

Ok, so after I ordered the new motherboard and hooked everything up, when windows would load, none of my I/O devices would function at all. I plugged in my g15 keyboard, and none of the lights on it would even power up.

So as per the suggestions I got here, I tried to see if I could access the CMOS and see if the I/O would work there. Well, I could infact access the CMOS, and when I watched my keyboard, the lights on it would only turn off, after windows began to load.

So from the boot menu, I started a system restore.
After the restore was finished, and it tried to load windows for the first time, I got a very long message from HP saying:

"Your system has detected a configuration error. Please report this error to customer care using the phone number found in the warrantyy and support guide that came with your PC. Unless corrected this error will prevent your PC from operating properly. Turn off your PC by pressing and holding the power button. After a few seconds, your PC will automatically turn off. (Code Purple)"

Well, I was about finished after that, but I started doing some research and found out some very interesting info.
Apparently certain computer manufacturers, (HP and Compaq included) put a virtual "tattoo" on your system that will basically not let the system function at all with windows if any of your hardware inside the case changes. So if you were to add a new stick of ram, change the harddrive, new motherboard (my problem!) the computer sees that your configuration is now different and stops functioning.
I got around this by taking out the newly restored harddrive, putting it in my computer, and opening up the D:/hp/bin/checkconfig/chkcfg.bat file and deleting it. I actually deleted teh whole checkconfig folder, put it back in the other cpu and voila!! A working computer.

I hope this solution helps someone else with a similar problem and thanks a lot to everyone here at g2g for all your help and suggestions, you guys are awesome!!!

Case closed :)