Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet Sound!?

• Please log in to reply

Roaku

Roaku

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am sure there was a similar problem that was posted before, but the thread had died and there was no further response, and so in due course I shall now try to regenerate that problem.

The Previous Topic

I am using a PC built with a firewall, Norton and MacAfee anitivirus daily scans. I have had no viruses that I know of, and have had regular virus scans in the last two days by MacAfee and Norton.
Nothing of course has been found.
Up untill a week or so, my internet sound worked just fine. But suddenly it had stopped.
Now the catch is here~

Microsoft Media Player works just fine,
Any movies or media on the computer work wonderfully, no problem,
The Radio from the internet works well, but not all, some do not load or stay loading forever,
Youtube works, but no sound, none ziltch, yet the images are there playing,
The volume icon is on my desktop and I can increase it to full blast or not and it effects nothing,
My sound Device whether I uninstall it or re-install it matters little, it works good and no problems are with it,
The Volume thingy on Youtube, YES it is UP to full. (To all those who do not think I didn't check that)

There are a few supposedly cures that I have tried:
Changing in the registry the already existing file 'wavemapper'.
The result - Nothing.
Installing codec.
The result - Many errors occured as files could not be changed, in the end all changes were undone.

I wonder if my version of what ever this 'thing' may be is a mutant and has grown immune to the cures given by the previous.. o.o''
If so...How do I rid myself of this mutant without rebooting my computer...
(I don't have anything saved, and saving the current would help little)

Alright, If anybody has any idea, or any worth while suggestions or insights into the problem, it would really help.
Thank you :3

Edited by Roaku, 29 July 2008 - 12:25 AM.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Hi Roaku,

Funny, I just posted a reply to a thread with the same problem. View my instructions here and see if that helps.

Is it only YouTube videos that don't work? Can you hear sound from other websites, or are you not getting sound from any websites?

Also, on a side note, you said you run both Norton and MacAfee. Contrary to what you may think (the more antivirus programs the safer I am!), having more than once antivirus software running can actually cause you to be LESS secure, as the programs can run in to conflict with each other (not to mention you're slowing down your computer). Pick one you like better and uninstall the other.

Post back your results.

- Matt

Roaku

Roaku

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, Matt.

I use Youtube only, but if it helps, the gaming sites I use as well no longer have sound either? :)
But that is the extent of my knowledge of other similar streaming sites.

As for the two antivirus programs, I have just uninstalled one and restarted my computer.
Indeed, I have been told two would be too difficult and many problems could occur.
MacAfee is re-scanning my computer as I type this up, and I am downloading the codec aswell.
Let's hope it all works!

>0

-- Downloaded the K-Lite Codec Full 4.1.0
The file when opened came with a pop-up,
Windows cannot run the program because it could not find specified path and/or you do not have permission to open file.

(This computer is mine, and as an administrator I have full access, so it should not be the permission that is at fault..
Rather I cannot open the file due to the path of file being incorrect?)

Edited by Roaku, 29 July 2008 - 12:57 AM.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Hi Roaku. After the AntiVirus completes its scan, restart the computer. Then find the klcodec410f.exe file that you downloaded. Right click it and choose "Properties" and look to the bottom of the "General" tab. Here you should find an "Unblock" button, click it, then click Apply. Now try opening the program.

Roaku

Roaku

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, Matt.

I had unblocked the program and it downloaded! Thank you. Although there were various items that could not be changed and I had to press the ignore button on a variety of times. At last it came to broken files, which the program supposedly fixed. It all ran smoothly (If you ignore the amount of hitches with the 'ignore' button)

Sadly, I have to be the informer of bad news. It did nothing.
Youtube is still far from being heard on my computer. Its soundless as it had been previously.
I had restarted my computer again, but to no avail.

Do you possibly have any other suggestions?
Or is my only option to simply reboot my computer and start from the beginning?

Thanks for all your help~!

Edited by Roaku, 31 July 2008 - 12:52 AM.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Still many things left to try!

What browser are you using? Internet Explorer?

What does your sound system consist of: is it just two basic speakers or do you have 5.1 surround sound set up?

Roaku

Roaku

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Using Firefox The newest version. 3.1 or something.
Don't remember.

It's two basic speakers I think, I have a bass thingy mabogy as well. So am not sure if that accounts for a 5.1 surround. o.o''

Alright. Glad to here there are more options! :3