Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Switching between programs or websites very slow.

• Please log in to reply

doublexd

doublexd

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK i've had just about enough of this computer. Hopefully you can help to rescue it before its too late.

When I startup the computer it's extremely slow. Then, when I try and open up other programs, it takes about 2 minutes. For example, when I try to open windows, it takes forever. If I then close it and try and open it again, it's still just as slow. When I try and switch between programs, the screen seems to freeze for a short time. Task manager is really slow to open as well and I seem to be forever getting messages that "program not responding". Even when I try to open the internet, or switch between websites, I get the same issue. Opening Outlook is the same. This is what I have done so far to try and fix it.

Gone into startup menu and unchecked everything except my firewall and virus protection.
Disabled indexing.
Regularly run ATF cleaner.
I've run disc defrag.
I've run disc cleanup.
Ensured my IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers Primary IDE Channel is set to DMA.
Have run anti-virus software - no virus detected

So now I'm at a loss as to what to try now. Any suggestions?? :)

Advertisements

jimmysonmycream

jimmysonmycream

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello :)
Hey, what kind of computer have you got? (make and model plz) Also, how long have you had it?
If you've done all that perhaps restoring it to the company make and reformatting the c drive would do good if thats your last hope. (Make sure you save your files!)

If switching between websites is slow that is probably not your comps fault but perhaps only to what you are paying for the internet monthly. What is your Isp and monthly payment plan?