Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Desktop

• Please log in to reply

David Fortescue

David Fortescue

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just wondered if anyone can help out.

I have a fairly new machine running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Recently when I start the machine Windows boots and when I get to my desktop nothing happens. All I get is ablank screen. I have pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete and I have been able to bring up the Task Manager and run a new task of explorer to get my desktop and taskbar to show and then all my applications seem to start running again.

This is constantly happening now and I need to do this everytime I turn the computer on.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I have full Admin rights to the computer and I am fine with editing registry details, however I am not totally familiar with the Vista OS as yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

element101

element101

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just made an account to ask this exact same question.

Last night I turned my computer off and now when i turn it on and put my password in, i get nothing. no background, no tool bar, icons, start upmenu, nothing.it's just a fully blank screen.

Like David said i can view my task manager but nothing seems out of the ordinary but im not sure wht exactly to be looking for.

I installed some new software yesterday some videos, audio programs and stuff.

it would be awesome if someone could point myself david in the right direction!

thanks!

-allen-

element101

element101

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just looked back a few pages and saw some kind of related threads.

I did a "System Restore" and that fixed everything.

David Fortescue

David Fortescue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have tried to do a system restore and this has not had any affect. I have tried a second system restore going back even further and this still has had no effect.

Any more suggestions?