Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Configure slave drive from crashed external net work hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jamiemac

jamiemac

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi,

Last month my trusty 4 year old laptop hard drive died in a hail of bad sectors. No worries I thought, luckily all my photos since 2001 are backed up on my Maxtor shared storage network drive.

Been a bit slow getting a new laptop and guess what, woke up this morning to find my Maxtor drive light flashing orange manically. After much investigation I think I have worked out that the maxtor power supply is malfunctioning (phew, thought for a minute the hard drive had crashed). So Eureka! I thought, I'll remove the Maxtor drive from its casing and attach it to my old Gateway tower PC as a slave.

Having never set up a slave before I am making slow progress. So far I have set the maxtor jumpers to 'Slave', checked it is showing correctly in the BIOS screen and looked at it via the XP disk manager wizard. Initially it was showing up as 'not initiallised' but i used right click 'initialise' so now it shows as Disk 1 (disk 0 being the gateway master drive) online. My problem is that it although it has figured out my slave is 200GB, it says the data is unallocated. I know the drive is NTFS. XP' seems to sugest I should now partition the slave but I am worried this will wipe my data. :)

Any suggestions on how to recover the data (on to a new external hard drive I guess) without paying Seagate data recovery Ltd about a squiillion quid!?

Cheers,

Edited by jamiemac, 29 July 2008 - 08:35 AM.

Advertisements