Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New, Confused and in VERY Bad Shape

• Please log in to reply

lovely08

lovely08

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need a faster processor for school. The one my laptop has now is 1.83GHz and I need 2.4GHz. In researching places to do this for me, I found out that it is near impossible to upgrade a processor. It was recommended that I upgrade my RAM instead. When I got a second opinion, I heard the same problem about not being able to upgrade my processor. However, this computer repair person told me that I was pretty much screwed and upgrading RAM isn't going to help me. Basically I need a new computer.

But I cannot afford a new computer. Mine is only a year old. Its a baby. I love it. I just need for it to be able to handle having lots of new programs and running many of them at the same time.

What am I supposed to do? The first person I spoke with told me that he could try but the second told me that it wouldn't work at all.

Help.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Upgrading processors in a laptop can be dicey. Faster processors generate more heat, and a laptop is only designed to dissipate so much heat. Also, the processor has to be a specific pin configuration, which isn't that hard to match, but it is a consideration you have to make.

What is the problem you are having, and why the 2.4GHz requirement? What system do you currently have? I personally have two computers, with 1.6 GHz and a 2.0 GHz processors, and they both perform fine as far as multitasking. If you tell us more about the issue, we may be able to help out with the root cause instead of just tossing parts.

lovely08

lovely08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Toshiba Portege M400-EZ5031. It has an Intel Centrino Duo processor.

My problem right now is just with it being sluggish and having to be rebooted frequently. The requirement is because for my major (architecture) I'm going to be installing a lot of programs and I'll need to be able to run most of them at the same time. My computer cannot be sluggish for this.

I don't really know what other information to give.

Thanks

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Just to add another voice to the choir, updating the CPU in that machine is infeasible. However, that doesn't mean there isn't anything you can do.

Vista doesn't run great with 1 GB ram, you'll notice a huge boost in performance with an upgrade to 2 GB. Even in laptops, upgrading RAM is relatively cheap and easy to do.

http://www.amazon.co...M/dp/B000FQ2JLW

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
mpfeif, aren't you retired? :) Welcome back!

I second that: 3GB is what I have in both my laptops. Sluggishness, if not caused by a rogue piece of software, can usually be resolved by upgrading the RAM, especially if it is 1GB running Vista.

lovely08

lovely08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Just to add another voice to the choir

*troy joins in the singing...

:)

I have a "beast" of a notebook computer, with 1GB of RAM, a 2GHz Celeron processor (single core), and it runs just fine. I can multi-task with it for my university course with no problems. I'll have a few Firefox tabs open, a few documents, PDF files, folders, and playing music, and I still don't use more than about 850MB of my 1GB RAM stick max, usually I'm sitting around 650-700MB.

Of course, to achieve this, I have to maintain my system - I don't have hardly anything installed on it - and definitely nothing I don't need. I ensure that I have only the minimal startup processes, and keep my system in good nick by regularly cleaning out temp files, and running a disk defragmenter when it's needed.

Just my comments, hope they're helpful.

Troy