Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i deleted a process by mistake

• Please log in to reply

izzyrocket

izzyrocket

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my father's computer runs windows 2000 and while i was trying to uninstall some adware and spyware programs, i mistakenly deleted a ****32.exe process. i put *** because i cant remember the full name but now nothing will load up when i restart the computer; just the background come up. i do remember that it was running something like 8000kbof mem usage. i would greatly appreciate any help

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Do you have the Windows 2000 CD or Floppy Discs that (should have) come with the machine?

izzyrocket

izzyrocket

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
im not sure..but if i had to guess i probably dont have it. is there anyway i can find it online and download it and put it onto a disk to run on my father's computer?

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
No legal way. See if you can find it, Windows 2000 has a good repair installation utility.

If not, try starting your computer into safe mode by tapping the F8 key while it is booting (for more detailed instructions, click here). Does your desktop load?

izzyrocket

izzyrocket

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you. the safe mode restart worked. i used malwarebytes to get the spyware prgrams like antivirus 2008 off of the computer