Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Think I have company? [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

Good Morning...... OK here is the link to that file : http://www.2shared.c...c/OTScanIt.html

A few other things i've noticed! :)

1: clock frequently switches to 24hr format. :)
2: The task manager thing. :)
3:Those ntuser.dat files all have nero video cd file icons. Advanced says.... opens with nero showtime essentials! this cannot be good! ;)

Scott

Have you done a System Restore as I asked before (after running that GVR..) Please do so now.. There's reason why I asked you to set a Restore Point earlier.. Refer below link that I asked you to set a Restore Point before you run GVR (after that disastrous "Kill All Process" thingy)
http://www.geekstogo...69#entry1298169

Please use System Restore to restore your computer at the latest previous Restore Point.. Please visit here if you do not know how.. Then report to me back after you done a System Restore.. :)

Should you have not set a Restore Point as I asked, please use the most recent Restore Point available (before you run GVR) and then report back to me :)

Edited by fenzodahl512, 04 August 2008 - 07:32 AM.

Advertisements

ScittS

ScittS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I restored to the only point I have...The one we did right before the scan 8/2/08 5:02 System Checkpoint.

Dude..............I think its fried.....the only thing it corrected was the whole scenario with jordyn's documents that I edited into my post!

The user.dat icons still wrong, still 24 hr clock, still malfunctioning task manager! I think my registery is fried.....

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
CAn you find this folder?

C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\Hiv-backup and can you find ERDNT file inside it?

ScittS

ScittS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yes, I have that file..... :)

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Ok.. Do this first..

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that all boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.

For detailed instruction on how to back-up registry via ERUNT, please visit HERE

Then, go to C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\Hiv-backup folder and double-click ERDNT file.. Follow the prompt.. After reboot your computer, Tell me about ntuser.dat files..

ScittS

ScittS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
On my laptop now.... my network connection won't work and won't repair! :) Reformatting is looking better all the time!! :) I'm at a loss!

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

On my laptop now.... my network connection won't work and won't repair! :) Reformatting is looking better all the time!! :) I'm at a loss!

Use this to repair your laptop..

Please download WinsockXPFix from HERE.
  • Double-click on WinsockXPFix and click on Fix
It will ask you to restart your computer in attempt to fix the internet connection. Please do so..

Yup.. formatting will be faster.. Tell me about your desicion..

By the way.. After you run WinsockXPFix, tell me about NTUser.dat thingy, then search for autorun.inf at each drive and delete it.. I found one at your G:\ drive..

And about your Norton, please do below.. I want to check something with its registry..

Please go to Start >> Run >> Copy/Paste command below >> Press Enter

REGEDIT /E "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\result.txt" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntiVirus"

A new textfile result.txt will be created on your Desktop. Please post its content in your next reply..

Do te same with below

REGEDIT /E "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\result2.txt" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall"

Then locate result2.txt on your Desktop and post its content here :)

ScittS

ScittS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
OK here is what you asked about...... sorry when I did the HIV thing I lost my network connection on reboot!

So, I fired up the laptop retrieved the winsock program, copied to flash, moved to main system, repaired connection!! I'm back with you!

OK the ntuser thing hasn't changed.

Here are the logs from the regedit:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntiVirus]
"DisableMonitoring"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall]
"DisableMonitoring"=dword:00000001

I think we should terminate our efforts. I'll reformat/clean with [email protected] and reinstall this stuff. as for my backup drives.......should I scan them after reinstalling OS / Security software before pulling files back? Or in your opinion are the remaining problems registry/files related?

Will wait for your reply. Gonna dump this dang norton!

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Tell me do you really want to reformat it? I'll leave to you to decide it :)

Please copy and paste the following into a Notepad

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntiVirus]
"DisableMonitoring"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall]
"DisableMonitoring"=dword:00000000

Save it in desktop as Fix.reg and in Save as type: choose All Files

A new registry file will then created on your desktop. It should look like this: Posted Image

Just double-click the file and choose Yes at prompt.

If you do not sure how to make a registry file, please visit HERE for the tutorial.

Then restart your computer and check whether Norton is monitoring your computer..

Edited by fenzodahl512, 04 August 2008 - 10:43 AM.

ScittS

ScittS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yes I think so, I know its the fastest way to legitimately take care of all the current problems. I am not giving up I just feel like my system has way to many different problems. I know it all started with malware but I think now it has gotten more serious. Broken/Bad registry keys, the whole task manager thing, the incorrect file settings thing, and lastly I am really upset with the NORTON ISSUE! ;)

I just want to be very careful about my backup drives.....I have alot of media I want to make sure its not infected. I haven't anywhere else to store the data til I get either my backup drives good or my system good. At this point it seems more logical to disconnect the drives, clean my system mess up then reconnect the drives and scan them behind a clean/truly safe system. :)

However I feel badly because you have devoted so much time to this heap of mine. I hate for all of that to be for not. :)

Whats your take? Am I wrong? :)

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

Yes I think so, I know its the fastest way to legitimately take care of all the current problems. I am not giving up I just feel like my system has way to many different problems. I know it all started with malware but I think now it has gotten more serious. Broken/Bad registry keys, the whole task manager thing, the incorrect file settings thing, and lastly I am really upset with the NORTON ISSUE! ;)

I just want to be very careful about my backup drives.....I have alot of media I want to make sure its not infected. I haven't anywhere else to store the data til I get either my backup drives good or my system good. At this point it seems more logical to disconnect the drives, clean my system mess up then reconnect the drives and scan them behind a clean/truly safe system. :)

However I feel badly because you have devoted so much time to this heap of mine. I hate for all of that to be for not. :)

Whats your take? Am I wrong? :)

No mate, you are not wrong.. Sometimes, when a fix got wayy too complicated, a reformat is the best course.. Sometimes, you only need a repair install.. You could try it first before you do a full format.. Have a look at link below.. Just tell me about your desicion :)

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

ScittS

ScittS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Fenzodahl512, I really have appreciated all of your tireless help this last week I'm going to try a repair, if i'm not satisfied then i'm gonna wipe her clean and rebuild. I'm not using norton again! I can promise you that! It has been a pleasure working with you and you have shown me how to kinda read the logs,use alot of the applications etc....... I could never repay you! :) I plan on hearing from you occasionally as I feel like i've known you for a while now, I enjoy your friendship! Thanks again!! :) :) Now that you aren't all busy with my heap maybe you can enjoy some ;) :)

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi mate.. sorry, I fall asleep last night (here :) )

I'll let this topic open until you have done your Repair Install or reformat.. Please tell me about it :)

ScittS

ScittS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Fenzodahl512, just wanted to let you know all is going well with my system. :)
I still have a few software items to install. :)
I also haven't hooked my backup drive up as of yet. :)

But, as my signature now shows...... I have completely redefined my protection and got rid of-- Snorton Catch a Virus. :)

I will keep you posted on my backup drive scans. It will probably be a day or two before I get that far. Working alot this week.... like never home! ;)

Cheers...... :) Thanks for the help!

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
any news about the backup pal? is it successful? :)