Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accents

• Please log in to reply

Simondo

Simondo

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi geeks!

Before I reformated I could do certain foreign accents, say for example ctl alt and O for the O with a little line over it. Same for U's and A's etc.

Now I can no longer do any those and in games such as World of Warcraft many players have those names and its incredibly annoying knowing I cant type the names.

I was wondering if there is some sort of software I have to download to be able to do these.

Many thanks.

Simon.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Hi Simondo,

I'm guessing it has to do with your Windows keyboard layout, which after the reformat was reset to the United States default layout. You can still create accents using the Alt key, its just the codes are rather inconvenient. To view these codes, see here.

If you prefer your old shortcut keys, you can try changing your keyboard layout to United States International; I believe this will make your former shortcuts work. To do this, see the instructions here.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thats perfect! Thanks very much!

Simondo!