Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer problem

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Since I installed IE 7 my Hewlett Packard printer will not print. I found this advice on the internet:

Director will not open re HP printer
After upgrading Internet Explorer to version 7 the HP Director software no longer opens. The software loads to memory but the interface is not visible. To immediately use the Director software, use the following workaround:
1. Open HP Director by double-clicking the HP Director desktop icon or by selecting the Director software using the Start menu.
HP Director is open but cannot be seen.
2. Press the Alt key and the Space bar at the same time.
A menu opens.
Figure 3: Menu

3. Select Minimize from the menu in the upper left corner of the window. If necessary, select Minimize again until HP Director minimizes to a taskbar icon.
4. Click the HP Director taskbar item to open and view HP Director.

I have followed these directions to the letter but at number 4 - I just get a blank screen of HP director. Can advise what more I should/can do?

My PC Stats:

Computer Specs:
Dell XPS400 Dimension
XP-Pro Version 2002 SP2
Pentium ® D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

E Drive – Sony CD-RW CRX217 E
IDE\CD Rom Sony
F Drive – HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW
GWA4164B
Video Card – Nvidia GeForce 6800
Sound Card – Sigma Tel High Defin.
Audio CODEC
Printer is Hewlett Packard PSC 2355 All in One Printer

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
There is a critical update from hp.

http://h10025.www1.h...r...228&lang=en

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Got all excited about your post only to get a message that the download did not support any of the drivers I had on my HP Printer and further that I did not need that update.

So back to square one but thanks for trying to be helpful. Other ideas maybe?

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
You could try uninstalling IE7 this will revert back to IE6. See if the HP software will work properly. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest software from hp.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Just want to make sure I understand - uninstalling IE7 will automatically revert IE back to 6? OR better to uninstall IE7 and THEN install IE6? I had no HP problems when I had IE6.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
IE will revert back to IE6 after the uninstall. You will not have to reinstall IE6.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I tried following link you provided but ran into a window listing of programs that were installed after IE7 and which may be dependent on IE7 therefore will no longer work. How does one know which programs depend on IE7? Hesitate to continue until I understand this a bit more. Can advise further?

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Are the programs listed updates that were installed after IE7. What programs are listed? There should be no issues if they are microsoft updates. Here is a walkthrough that will show you the wizard

http://www.csgnetwor...e7rollback.html

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
There is of course all the security updates but there is also a long long list of programs other than the updates: examples - Nero programs, Adobe, Advanced Windows Care program, MailWasher, Malware Bytes program, Rosetta Stone which I had trouble installing so surely do not want to lose it, QuickTime, Spybot, Pronunciation programs (am a teacher so surely do not want to lose these), Test Generator, Games, VDMSound, my antivirus program, and on and on.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just allow the uninstall. I have done that lots of times and never failed. makinu1der2 advice is a good one. Roll back to IE6 and try your printer. If still no good, uninstall the driver and reinstall it afresh. Use your original installation CD (if you have one) and don't look for any updates.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
The rollback of IE7 went well and indeed IE6 just installed inself or all rolled back to IE6 and so far no other progams affected. Been have one heck of a time with the printer hower! But after much persistence and determination plus some dumb luck and trying everything - it finally is working again. Always the problem though is the path I followed to get it working got so involved and was so convoluted that I can't remembe all that I did to follow it again if needed:)

So thanks to all for your help - really appreciated it. Only think left to do is see if my HP Director now works - that started the whole thing because with IE 7 it was not working. So if still not working - well back to the drawing board!

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
HP Director still does not open even with IE6 but do not regret the rollback. :) Am going to try to attach the error messages I get re HP Director to see if there is some resolution that anyone can suggest. If not, have had so many problems with this HP Printer - am considering thinking about getting a Lexmark. :) Hope I do the attachments correctly.

Not sure what I am doing wrong - the attachment seems to upload yet when finished there is no indication that it did so. Can advise?