Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finally Upgrading

• Please log in to reply

JelloPuddin

JelloPuddin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there, I'm looking to upgrade my current computer a bit. I am running an older ABS Computer Systems box that I purchased back in early 05. Below are the stats that I can think of off hand (I'm out of town on another computer).

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 Proc 3200+ (2.21GHz)

Graphics Card:
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (DirectX 9.0)

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. 'K8N-E-Deluxe' Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1006.008 10/04/2004

Memory Cards:
1GB (512MBx2 Corsair)

Storage:
120GB internal
500GB external

Operating System: XP

Now, with this system being old, and me not being in possession of an incredibly gifted computer-knowledgeable mind. I am wanting to do as many upgrades as I can without changing the mobo. Now I am assuming that since this is an older computer that even the top of the line parts (for this mobo-specific) are not the most expensive out there. I know that the mobo says it can support up to 3GB of memory so I'd say I would want to at least go from 1GB (current) to 2GB or more if needed. As for the CPU, I just cannot find anywhere on the internet (I may not be searching google correctly), that will tell me what is the max/best CPU that this mobo can handle and is still available. Same goes for the graphics card, which I haven't mentioned that I would love to be able to add a TV tuner, but it is not necessary, it would just be cool.

So my questions are, what is the best CPU, the best memory and best graphics card that I can get to upgrade this particular mobo/computer. And is this a good idea? Would I be better off only upgrading one part of this system? Any help would be much appreciated. Below is what I have been looking at already but quite honestly, I am not smart enough to know if these things are compatible or not.

CPUs: http://www.newegg.co...;name=Athlon 64
Memory: http://www.newegg.co.......58&name=1GB
Graphics Cards: http://www.newegg.co.......8&name=ASUS

Again, thank you! Sorry for the long post.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
It's going to be tricky as the socket 754 your motherboard supports is old and has been phased out. There's a list of CPUs that your mobo supports here from the manufacturer's site. Quite frankly, the CPU you currently have is probably about as good as it gets.

Memory however would be pretty easy and cheap, you could upgrade to 3 GB which could make a significant impact on your system. You can get three 1 GB sticks from NewEgg for only $75.

Graphics cards and TV Tuner cards would be easy to install. Your mobo has one AGP8X port and five PCI ports, so any standard video card tuner card should work fine. Explore NewEgg (or similar sites) for ones that interest you. If you tell us a budget and what you're looking to use it for I can help you on choosing. There are some nice ones out there you could use, but you have to ask yourself if you want to spend that much money upgrading this relatively old machine.