Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iPods to be searched for pirated music in international airports?

• Please log in to reply

Richiiee

Richiiee

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Just recently found this article about it. Apparently ipods are going to be searched for pirated music sometime in the near future.

How do you think they're going to go about it? Is it even worth it? Do you think it's necessary?

http://www.canada.co...4f-47f6fc96ce5e

Advertisements

HarryX

HarryX

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I actually hope not. I have enough on my back with Virgin Media meaning I had to slow down my uploading.
It will just mean more traffic and queues at airports as everyone will be handing in their iPods/Mp3/Mp4 players.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The fact that they have been doing this in secrecy tells you they know it is wrong. If you think it is just about copyright infringement...think again! Once the agreement is signed, it will have far more reaching effects than just copyright protection and will be highly subject to abuse as most agreements done secretly. Now you will have low-level guards making decisions that can ruin your life who have no legal training in such matters.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 04 August 2008 - 08:53 AM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

The security officials would be charged with checking laptops, iPods and even cellular phones for content that "infringes" on copyright laws, such as ripped CDs and movies.

They will not be looking through mine, I can promise you that! The first one that gets arrested for refusing to have their system, phones, etc… searched, and makes a big fuss for a legitimate reason will punch a few holes in the whole thing.

I wonder how this whole thing is going to turn out. I personally don’t think its going to go over to well.

Richiiee

Richiiee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
How do you think they're going to search though? Take everybody's individual iPod and scroll through their song lists and hold up the massive lines? How can they even tell which songs are pirated?

Bates 999

Bates 999

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
They wouldn't go through them all one by one, for a start they'd do random checks like they do with bags and even then they wouldn't scroll through the songs, they'd plug it into some sort of device. As to how they'd distinguish the pirated ones from the legal ones, I really don't know.

Anyway, you seem worried :)