Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Drive to install Games on?

• Please log in to reply

Nordenankar

Nordenankar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi.

noob question warning :)

I have a computer with 2 300 GB drives installed. My question is this:

Shall I (for best performance) install games on the same disk as windows or on the other disk?

I have a HP dual core with vista.

Edited by Nordenankar, 30 July 2008 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I usually install 2 hard drives , or at least 2 partitions, on every computer i own. I do this to seperate the data from the programs and OS. All data goes on the second partition, or drive, and all Operating systems and programs go on the "C" drive. Any programs downloaded from the internet i first put into a "Downloads" folder along with any registration files or numbers, so i can back them up on CD or DVD before installing them. I have lost no data in 5 years now by doing this. I also use norton ghost to make my own recovery disks so that any installed programs and settings are included into the recovery disk. It makes it so much easier to reinstall again. The only problem i have is i seldom reinstall anymore. I now usually build me a new computer and sell the old one before any restore needs to be done.

SRX660

Nordenankar

Nordenankar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Tnx for the quick answer. Impressive trackrecord. :) I reinstall every 6 month or so...

I also have all my downloads on a seperate drive.

My question was if games will run better if it's installed on the same drive/disk as windows or if it gets slower/indiffrent.

/Johan

Edited by Nordenankar, 30 July 2008 - 06:20 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have installed both ways. I have not noticed any slow down in the games. What i have noticed is that if you have to reinstall windows on the drive you lose all connections with the game if it is on a second partition or drive, so you will need to reinstall it again. I must say i do not have experience with some of the best games that are heavy user's of the computer resources.

SRX660