Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Computer Build

• Please log in to reply

sailoholic

sailoholic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, this is my first build as the subject states and I am trying to lower the price of my build. I am also lost in the array of computer cases. I want to get something inexpensive (preferably under $60). I plan on overclocking both my CPU and GPU so something with good airflow too. Heres my build:

Intel E7200 - $124.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS - $79.99

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro - $26.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W $109.99 after $30 mail-in rebate

ASUS Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW Lightscribe........ - $20.99

GIGABYTE GV-RX387512H Radeon HD 3870 - $99.99 after $30 mail-in rebate

as far as RAM goes I will pick a DDR2 800 ram that is cheap as the sales on them fluctuate daily.

If you see anyway to lower the cost of this build without much sacrifice in performance it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

That build is looking very good to me, and the prices seem pretty good, too. Where are you getting your prices from?

What motherboard and OS are you using?

For a case, you should try looking at the Antec 300, it's a pretty nice looking case around your budget (with good air-flow).

Cheers

Troy

sailoholic

sailoholic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I will most likely be using vista because of DX10 unless i want to hassle getting DX10 in XP. All the prices are from newegg, there amazing. Although some of the sales ended so Ill either find different parts or fork out an extra 50. I was looking at the Antec 300, seems like a great case. Anything you can think of for less than 60?m Oh and the motherboard is the gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L, i forgot to post it. Thanks again!

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
The hard drive seems a little expensive to me for a 320GB for $79.99. I would suggest going with either one below.
Western Digital 500GB for $74.99 (3 year warranty)
Seagate 500GB for $79.99 (5 year warranty)