Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help for future new build

• Please log in to reply

AnberlinFan84

AnberlinFan84

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am new to this website and have always really been into computers and anything techwise. Due to lack of funds I have never really had a brand new computer and have finally saved some money for this purpose :)

I was wondering about the compatibilty between the motherboard and processor. Almost all cases you find online are ATX or mini's and so its easy to figure out the case/motherboard compatibility. The problems I am having are figuring out the right PSU I will need and the right porcessor for the motherboard. I have not purchased anything yet, I am just doing some research. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hello AnberlinFan84, Welcome to GeeksToGo!

For motherboard and processor compatibility, you have to figure out what type of socket they need/use. For example, if the motherboard has a socket LGA775, then the processor needs to have a socket type of LGA775.

For the power supply, that's usually the last thing you have to pick because you need to account all the hardware you're going to put in your computer. What I usually do is figure out what graphics card I want, then figure out how much power it needs. After that I take into account how many dvd-drives and harddrives I am adding into the build.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 30 July 2008 - 04:32 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I love Anberlin! They rock so hard, I want all their albums :)

For the PSU size, you'll find they have form factor sizes as well.

And a note on the processor/motherboard, you might find that some motherboards are LGA775 (to use kamille316's example) but don't take a specific type of LGA775 processor. (For example, a really old motherboard with a really new processor, even though both are still using LGA775). So take note of the specifications. Most motherboards have a support webpage that lists "Supported CPUs".

Cheers

Troy