Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Messages, Can't Download XP SP3

• Please log in to reply

mckryan

mckryan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I just finished cleaning up my computer from a nasty virus/trojan/spyware attack, and I'm having some XP issues.

1. I can't get XP SP3 to download. I'll get it downloaded, my system will restart, but I'll go into Safe Mode and when I choose Start Windows Normally, it won't work. I have to go into Safe Mode, go to System Restore and select an earlier date to get my computer to boot into normal mode.

2. When my system reboots, I get two errors - a) COM Surrogate error with the MS Windows reporting screen and b) ehRec.exe error. Both of these errors began during the cleaning process for the virus attack.

The best I can tell about the #2 errors is that they are related to Windows Media Player. I can't seem to find a way to fix them, though.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Edited by mckryan, 30 July 2008 - 08:31 PM.

Advertisements

mckryan

mckryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Does anyone have any ideas?

I also have this problem, reported when I was tyring to clean up my computer from an infection.

Still working on the system restore point, but I wanted to share this message when my FastScan Trojan Remover started to run a scan.

The regfile\shell\open\command Key in the Windows Registery appears to have been modified. The current entry looks like this: regedit.exe "%1"%*

Would you like Trojan Remover to reset this Registery key [recommended]?

I chose No and closed the program so it wouldn't scan. But, the message concerned me, so I wanted to let you know.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
See if you can download it separate from Windows Update (or at least, I assume that's where you've been trying to download it). It's also available here. Yes, they say to only download it there if you're installing on more then one machine, but MS assumes that their Windows Update will always work, so I would download it there anyway...

Anyway, download it there, and see if you can get that to install, rather then going through Windows Update.

mckryan

mckryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It says not to download that file if you are just updating one computer. Is there an issue with that or is it safe to download, despite the warning?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
What you would download from that site is the entire service pack. What you would download from Windows Update would be the SP minus whatever updates you already have on the computer. There shouldn't be any problem with it. I've downloaded it and that's what I use to install SP3 on any computers that I need to install it on to save time.

mckryan

mckryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Excellent - thank you! I'll work on this in the AM and report back.

Daz3210

Daz3210

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I also had a problem with SP3. It turned out that the Windows Update site did not like one of the previous updates that it installed itself, and I needed to manually delete this update first.

I can't remember which one it was, but there was a prompt from the update website that helped me trace it.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Did it work?

Daz3210

Daz3210

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes it worked after I uninstalled the previous update.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Awesome!! :)

Edited by jt1990, 07 August 2008 - 06:21 PM.

Advertisements

mckryan

mckryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Unfortunately, downloading and saving the SP3 to my computer and then installing resulted in the same problem. Boot into safe mode, and choosing to start up normally still brings me to the safe mode screen. So, I had to restore my computer in safe mode and it's back to working fine. I'm still getting the COM Surrogate error and the ehRec.exe error when XP boots up. This is really getting aggravating.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
For fix the first error remove windows update KB935652. (look at this link).

Regarding the other error: Search for the file ehRec.exe in your XP CD and copy it. Search the file again in your hard disk, find it and paste the copied file. Let it replace the damaged file. There are many links in google that explain what this file is and where to find it.

It would be wise to post a topic in the malware forum to make sure your computer is clean (a link in my list below).

mckryan

mckryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I went to Add/Remove Software, and there is no Windows Update with that code. The only one I have is KB893803. I have searched my system, too, and I don't find anything listed in the files with that name.

I do not have an XP CD, but I do have recovery discs. I couldn't find ehRec.exe on them, and I'm not sure that's even the right place to look.

I just went through a cleaning through the Malware forum, and I mentioned both of these errors at that time. They told me to come to this forum for help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
From what I read ehRec.exe is part of Windows Media Center. Is that the XP version that you have? Go to folder options > view. Uncheck Hide Prorected operationg System Files (recommended). Confirm and search the file again.

mckryan

mckryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
That helped find them on my hard drive. There are 3 files with ehRec in them:

ehRec.exe
ehRec.exe.config
ehRec.exe-2365F918.pf

There is no file with that name on my recovery discs.