Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Signal to monitor:(

• Please log in to reply

MossGeek

MossGeek

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok i'm feeling more like a n00b every day here. I retained a second tower from a friend and decided to combine both pcs to make one power comp for some video and audio editing, and another for surfing and friends/family when they come over and visit.

I did all the switching of harddrives, and dvd/cd roms. After doing so, not even touching the ram or adding fans that I went and bought for them. I turned on the puters just to test. The newest tower, worked perfect. The older tower for some reason gave me three unusual loud beeps and no signal to my monitor. Wouldn't even show me sign of life other than the green led on the front go dead to yellow after about three seconds.

There is no beep from the tower once I power it up, the fans are spinning, led's are lighting though. I have disconnected/reconnected all cords from motherboards to drives, fans, etc. I pulled out and cleaned and then tested one by one each of my ram sticks. I tried without connecting the harddrives and with them connected afterwards.
Even went out and bought a new video card and left my old one to recycle *which now I think is stupid because I am left with the same problem*. I then took the advice and took the watch type battery out from the motherboard for five plus minutes and then tried to repower it up.

There is another peice of advice I am looking at but don't know how to properely do. Which is reset the jumper? I am assuming for BIOS, unless that is what the battery does, but i've seen steps seperately for the jumper but do not know what I am looking for. I have looked for pics but I am pretty slow.

Hoping for some help as another person on the forum has helped me what looks like to be a virus problem solved with this tower I am currently using.

Cheers to you all I appreciate any help given and/or advice. Right now I am stuck on whether or not to put my foot through the motherboard or not:(

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You have probably fried the motherboard with a static electric charge while swapping things around. You have already done most of the tests i would have tried.I did this on one computer. Everything was working fine while i swapped in different hard drives, one at a time, to find out if the HD's were any good. After 8 drives the computer just quit working. A different power supply helped check one more HD, but then the computer never would boot ever again. I finally just used all the hardware in other computers( all worked) except the motherboard.

Reset jumpers are just to take the bios back to the first configuration from the factory. It's usually used as last resort when everything else tried fails. In reality you are resetting the CMOS and not the BIOS. The CMOS (pronounced "sea moss") is a computer chip responsible for storing settings of a computer system. BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System. The BIOS holds the most basic computer instructions required to boot a computer into an operating system such as DOS or Windows. You can think of the BIOS as a mini pre-operating system.

Since the CMOS and BIOS are so tightly intertwined, they are commonly referred to as one in the same.

Generally you turn off the computer, then switch the jumper for 5 seconds, switch the jumper back to the original 2 pins, and restart the computer. The Cmos is kept running by the motherboard battery and is independant of the regular power to the computer.

Since you are not getting the single POST beep i would assume the motherboard has a problem.THe post beep tells you that all the hardware is working properly. I would try disconnecting the cdrom drives, have only 1 stick of memory, and no extra hardware on the computer except what is needed to boot and see what happens.

Whats needed?
power, cpu and fan, MB, memory stick, graphics card( or onboard graphics), keyboard, mouse, monitor, and hard drive. The computer should at least boot to where you can get to the bios screen. Text should say to hit the delete key, of F1, or something like that. It should even boot into windows if there is a OS on the hard drive. No single beep now indicates bad hardware somewhere. Easist thing is replacing parts until the problem is found. I know some do not have spare parts lying around, so that's why you cultivate geek friends.

On this website is a good look at a CMOS jumper.

http://www.nordichar...i...432&page=31

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 31 July 2008 - 07:57 AM.

MossGeek

MossGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes its the motherboard, I have tried with all the necessities to boot the puter and read another thread where it mentions to listen to the sounds of the error beeps made by the tower.

And its one long beep, and after no successful tries with the necessities I am going to get a new motherboard.

Hehe even tried the Jumper to no avail like u thought. but it was worth the try.

"Easist thing is replacing parts until the problem is found. I know some do not have spare parts lying around, so that's why you cultivate geek friends."

I do have several different parts of hardware and what not lying around from past pcs. And for those that I don't have, I have a friendly thrift store located not too far from me in vancouver called Free Geeks:) Where they recycle computers and then sell different parts at the thrift store.

Unfortunately after a short discussion with them this morning already, I have found out they do not have a motherboard that I can use on hand currently:(

Only older models, but that is aight, I can wait...or I can call and harass some other friends haha.