Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

registry configuration error! i badly needed help!

• Please log in to reply

femjoannes

femjoannes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have very little computer experience so patience and any help will be greatly appreciated.

I was about to add another hard disk in my computer (that was the 2nd harddisk which is an IDE while the first one was SATA). i set the IDE as the master. when i reboot the computer I found was though at the top of the screen it says ' Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu '. Now this computer was originally loaded with Windows XP.

Anyways, below is exactly what the screen says:

Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu

1. Normal
2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
3. Safe mode
4. Step-by-step confirmation
5. Command prompt only
6. Safe mode command prompt only

Enter a choice Time Remaining

Waring: Windows has detected a registry/configuration error.

Choose, Command prompt only, and run Scanreg.

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS
The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

I don't know what to do. i need your help:-(

its FEM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The IDE disk was surely installed with win 98. It's possible that it had a second installation of XP too. When you install two versions of windows you install the older version first (win 98 in this case). Most BIOSs are set to detect and run IDE drives first and then SATA, if IDE is not recognized.

If you wish to use the second (IDE) drive for storage, why not format it and clear everything? There are two ways to force the computer to boot from the SATA drive:

1: Jumper the IDE drive as slave.

2: Enter your BIOS and look for a place in which you can specify which disk will be the first one to load. Set the SATA to be the first disk, save the changes and reboot.